Clone attempt - now no reboot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davision, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davision

davision Registered Member

Here's what I did.

Have IDE master -- Cd-rom. Slave HD is Boot drive. Also have two SATA HDs.

I disconnected CD-rom and connected new HD. I told TI to clone IDE slave boot drive to new master drive. It said it had to reboot. Now it tries to load windows but the screen goes BLACK. Nothing happens.

I tried to reboot with safe mode and still it goes black. It freezes on giveio.sys or something.

I tried disconnecting new HD and reconnect the CD-Rom to return to original setup. Still does not reboot. What is going ono_O

Am I going to have to reinstall Windows now?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

For starters, you certainly have an unusual setup - configuring the boot drive as the Slave and the CD-Rom as Master. You didn't say what version and build of TI you are using nor what Windows version - this info. would help others to give suggestions.

But I'll assume it is Windows XP - and if it is, you may have to do a Repair install to correct what went wrong. And to preserve your data and programs, the Repair feature you want (when you boot with the Windows XP cd) is the second one that appears in the dialogue windows. Ignore the first one.

3. davision

davision Registered Member

I'm using TI 9.

I don't see why the setup is unusual. I only have two ide drives (hd and cd) and the CD mounts higher than the hds (like in most cases). Therefore the CD is master and hd is slave via Cable Select.

It certainly doesn't explain why a basic attempt to clone would completely ruin my ability to return to Windows.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Well you're adding one more wrinkle to a setup which might just make TI hiccup - and it may have caused TI to do just that. I dunno ... just making a suggestion.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello davision,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify how the hard drives are connected and what hard drive you are trying to boot from?

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Please also try to prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article, if it is possible. This procedure is recommended since you are trying to clone from IDE to SATA drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. ldjessup

ldjessup Registered Member

I have the same problem. Trying to clone to new IDE HD from another IDE HD. Everything is fine until you get the message "must reboot". I click on O.K., but nothing happens. Tried restarting machine, but I'm right back where I started. No tricky setups. Quite straight forward. Two IDE drives. Two CD drives on separate controller. Thanks for any suggestions. I'm running XP Pro w/svc Pack 2. All up to date.

7. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Did you turn off the machine and disconnect the original drive before booting? If not that is probably the cause of the problem Go here for the solution:
    http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

8. Acronis Support

Hello ldjessup,

In case you have not created Acronis True Image Bootable CD earlier then please create it and try to clone your hard drive booting from this CD.

If you still want us to investigate the issue with cloning in Windows then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

9. ldjessup

ldjessup Registered Member

this method worked great.
    Thanks again. Your support is the best.

10. Acronis Support

Hello ldjessup,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been solved. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.