ClearCloud DNS To Be Discontinued

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I tried both Norton and ClearCloud and Norton DNS is not that good compare to ClearCloud. If a software is good thus I would not mind buying it.

Thanks.

2. m0unds

m0unds Guest

there's always dyn's internet guide, which has finally received some feature enhancements (there's a beta feature to allow you to bypass the block page to load the blocked site) and barracuda's categorical stuff has improved a bit, but it's still a PITA to try and get a FP addressed.

3. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Does it sound like they care about how bad we want it.. maybe we depend a lot on its filtering capability.. but it cost a lot of money, even more than the trust and love of the people for the product. I for one wish them luck on their future business goals..:thumb:

4. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I've been away from Wilders for a while, but I just dropped by to express my dissapointment with GFI. After they acquired Sunbelt, all the good stuff happened to vanish. I'm still a happy VIPRE user, and I'm still running CC DNS. But, I'm sure time will come when neither one will be alive. Oh well, I still have 1 year left on my subscription, hopefully they won't kill it before it expires. Yeah, right... ¬¬
    GFI, could you GTFO please?

5. alexeck

alexeck Registered Member

I'm afraid you're right. Charging for a DNS service that others provide largely for free (and monetize through redirects) I'm not sure would have covered the cost.

OpenDNS makes their money by their partnership with Yahoo. They bring millions of redirects to Yahoo (through nxdomain redirects) and Yahoo pays them millions of dollars. But you need millions of users...

6. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

This is how I see it. First, people will try to put their hands on something that's free. Hey, I do that. If I can have something for free, then I'll get it. Specially, if this free has quality, and that perhaps paid-for products lack.

If I cannot get it for free, I'll see if I can pay it by some other mean, for example translate to my language. I did it for a couple apps I considered worth paying for. I did it, because I couldn't afford to pay it, with money. So, I paid with translations.

Now, CC is not the same as those apps, obviously. This means that, in order for you to make it lucrative, you need to follow a different approach: Search engine redirection. This way, people get it for free, but pay by being redirected to that search engine.

As I said, I see no problems with it, as long as it is a quality service, which in all honest I say CC was. Except for this or that annoyance from time to time. Something that could be improved if it were to be continued.

Now, to get people to use your DNS service, people need to know about it. The start point are the geeky users. If they like it, they will recommend it and even deploy it to other people's systems. I've done that with CC since it came out. I know of other cases, where other users did the same.

Is this enough? No, it isn't. Why not? Sunbelt/GFI isn't as widely known as Symantec, for example. Correct? I think so.

What does this mean? You need to advertise it. I'm pretty sure your/GFI marketing department would know the best route to achieve that.

But, to make something lucrative, you need to advertise it, somehow. You need to invest, otherwise it isn't a well thought-out plan. It's a plan doomed to fail. This is what happened with CC, IMHO. Jugding by the way you talked about it.

Let's put it like this: If you want people to know about your product, you need to reach out for them. You can't expect them to reach out for you, if they don't know you.

If you guys can do this, and considering CC was a great service, then all the ingredients exist to make of CC a success. IMHO.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  7. m0unds

m0unds Guest

did you see the post from alex 1-2 pages back? if you missed it, go back and read it.

8. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Interesting reading... but I still can't see why would they discontinue their "free line" now that they are supposed to have a bigger budget. Also the development did slow down, I have no doubts about that, and I'm not guessing, true experience here.

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Just encountered my first FP with NortonDNS, nothing severe, just being blocked from viewing an image.

The good thing about NortonDNS is you can see WHY a site is blocked: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=i13.photobucket.com The image is 19/43 on VirusTotal.

A malicious image was hosted and it got blocked it would seem, I sent off an email to the nortondns address in hope it is the correct location to get these issues solved.

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Cool deal about the NortonDNS elapsed. I've been using DynDNS but their block page is not as nice.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Anybody know if there is a Comodo Secure DNS test page?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  12. m00nbl00d

I couldn't find any. Not even at COMODO Secure DNS page.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi m00nbl00d
    I figured out a good way of testing...
    I simply went the the Comodo Forum Report Blocked Sites You Believe Are Safe Here and tried connecting to some of the more recent submissions.

I got to see Comodo's block page.
    And I also learned that clicking on the override selection at the bottom of the block page that says,
    "Disregard this warning and continue (Not Recommended)", doesn't override the block.
    At least not on the one I tested.
    Comodo Secure DNS block page.jpg

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

With Comodo's DNS how are malware sites treated that were issued certificates by Comodo? Are those still blocked or not?

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Good question! ;)

16. m00nbl00d

Living dangerously... :D :-*

17. m00nbl00d

That's one of the things I also like in Norton DNS. I also like the fact it's available in my language, because I believe it will bring more interest to my relatives to read the warning, and get the info at safeweb.norton.com why it's being blocked. :thumb:

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

How is NortonDNS as far as speed goes?

19. elapsed

According to the DNS benchmark test on GRC it was on par with CC for me. Depends solely on location.

20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

for me, it is as fast, if not faster, than my ISP DNS.

21. elapsed

I got no response from the email so I made a thread on the Norton forums. It's not as convenient as clicking a report FP button but overall it was actually addressed faster than the average CC FP. :thumb:

22. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Anyone know the answer to this?

23. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Does anybody tried DynDNS ?

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

How does this compare with sending an e-mail?

I tried DyDNS, its malware protection is lower than Norton and ClearCloud. Also has many FPs.

25. lws

lws Registered Member

I am currently going with the crowd with Norton DNS but am wondering if anyone has tried DNS Advantage? - http://www.dnsadvantage.com/ - Any feedback is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.