ClearCloud DNS To Be Discontinued

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thanks, for posting this useful email.

Bo

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Enter here -http://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/zero-day-threats-part-2-whos-behind-them-and-why

Press the link where it says part 1 of this blog series. Where does it take you?

It's taking me to -http://www.cnet.com/how-we-test/ LOL

Is it Norton DNS? I find no other explanation! :argh:

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

To my knowledge, DNS can't direct you to specific pages.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Bookmarked with mailto. I hope they'll reply.

@m00nbl00d: It's not Norton DNS, because proxies redirect there as well.

5. m00nbl00d

I guess it's due to the link being -http://www.labs.com/etc...

I manually opened -http://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/zero-day-threats-part-1-what-they-are-and-what-theyre-not and it opened just fine.

But, both www-cnet-com (64.30.224.103) and www-labs-com (64.30.224.118 ) are within the same netblock. Only something curious, nothing more really.

If you open www-labs-com you'll be redirected to www-cnet-com/how-we-test/

6. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

i was thinking to use norton dns as preferred and as alternate use comodo dns or maybe open dns ..thoughts?:rolleyes:

7. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've been doing that with no issues for quite a while.
    (Had ClearCloud first but now have dropped it to the bottom below the others (and in the same order, by the way.)

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can choose either, but I think Comodo is better against malware sites.

9. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

Norton Dns is the best alternative :thumb:

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Still using OpenDNS here, but I like the idea of using a service that its good against malware. From what J_L and elapsed have been saying, OpenDNS is not so hot in that aspect.

I haven't read much about Comodo DNS.
    Can anyone offer some opinions on where it ranks in comparison to ClearCloud and Norton?
    Are there block page drawbacks, or fp drawbacks associated with Comodo?
    What do you guys think?
    Is it reliable?
    Thanks!

11. m00nbl00d

Why don't you use Norton DNS and create an account to subscribe to the Web Content Filtering?

I might create two accounts for two relatives. Does anyone any link showing which categories it provides? I'm searching for it, but so far nothing.

12. Kernelwars

Now thats a great idea.. Thanks dude:thumb:

13. m00nbl00d

By the way, if you opt for the Web Content Filter, it will also block malicious domains, don't worry (Just in case someone was wondering if they would need to opt for one of the services, malware blocking and content filter). This service will add the extra categories to it.

-http://www.nortondns.com/aboutus-content-filter.html

14. Kernelwars

do i need to download the dns client? I did set up the dns manually but for content filtering do I need the client? just wondering:rolleyes:

15. m00nbl00d

I don't think so. Have you created an account and set your content filter policies? See if it works without the DNS client. I think the DNS client is for those who don't feel comfortable messing with Windows settings.

16. carat

carat Guest

I didn't like ClearCloud (several FP) :doubt: RIP ClearCloud ...

17. Kernelwars

yes u r right.. I see its working:D

18. alexeck

alexeck Registered Member

Folks, I am the guy behind the termination of ClearCloud. I am the former CEO of Sunbelt and now the general manager of GFI's security division. So blame me if you're upset, not GFI. I also am the person behind the decision to discontinue the Sunbelt Personal Firewall and CounterSpy. There is a separate thread on this where I explain why I did this.

ClearCloud cost an arm and a leg to keep going and during the beta, I was never able to figure out how to monetize it. I didn't want to do redirects to a high-paying search engine (instead, I did fairly soft redirects to Google on nxdomains), and any other model, like a heavy ad model or a toolbar, would have just made it uninteresting for customers and for me.

Someone made the comment that this costs a lot to run. It does. Norton DNS is a probably a fine solution and you should look at using that. Whatever service you use, go to a site like malwaredomainlist.com (in a virtual machine as you can get infected) and make sure it's blocking the malware sites on that page. Not all DNS services may do the job of blocking malware.

The practical reality is that DNS has its limitations. It will probably get about 70%-80% of malicious sites, as it can only work on the domain level, not the URI/URL level (which is what you need a web filter for). Don't rely on a DNS product as your total protection against malware and phishing sites.

It was a grand experiment, and I'm sorry if I've inconvenienced anyone. I am now looking to repurpose the ClearCloud infrastructure into something else that we can use.

I've seen some comments about GFI's acquisition of GFI. Let me state for the record, as the guy who ran Sunbelt for eight years, that GFI has been a great partner, and they have given me the resources to continue to build great technologies and products. Our development staff has grown significantly, and as a company with deep pockets, they have expended great amounts of capital resources to continue to grow the business.

Email me off-line directly anytime if you're ever concerned. I don't post often on forums, but I do lurk and I do get the feedback.

Alex Eckelberry
    General Manager, GFI Security
    alexe (at) gfi.com

19. Kernelwars

Awesome thanks.. dont we all have the picture that these days its not about giving back but about making what you can? Anyways I for one started trusting clearcloud..depending on anything is not right.. Anyways good luck with your companies goal of accumulating more business.. :thumb:

20. m00nbl00d

I still haven't create accounts for my relatives. I first need to create new e-mail accounts to register with them, instead. Could you tell me whether or not it also allows to whitelist/blacklist, and if so, how is it done? I mean, do you have domains one by one, or are you allowed to import a file with domains?

21. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Hi Alex

If you want to make money with ClearCloud why don't you have a paid license for it? I myself would buy one and if you can make it a lifetime license, the better.

To me when it come to blocking domains CC is unique; please Alex reconsider your decision to discontinue CC, bring it back from the brink of death through a paid lifetime license.

Ok do you want me to beg? Alright I'll even cry...:'( :'( :'( :'( . Bring CC back.

Thanks.

22. Kernelwars

it lets u add upto 100 domains for black / whitelist manually no import feature I think..

Attached Files:

23. m00nbl00d

While this would be a solution, I don't think most people would go that route, when they other services for free, including Norton DNS, which blocks malicious domains and allow to filter content.

My suggestion, if CC was to be reconsidered, would be to partner with a search engine. Why not Bing (Microsoft's)? I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't mind it, and it would be a win-win, in my opinion. :p I wouldn't mind this approach, at all, if it mean't to have a decent DNS service.

24. m00nbl00d

OK, thanks. :thumb:

An import option would be welcome, though. Manually add 100 domains? :eek:

25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Guys, don't you think it would be a better idea to start a new thread regarding how to set up an alternative DNS (Norton, Open DNS etc) rather than continue to take this thread off-topic?

Easier for others to keep up with it as well.

Thanks. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.