ClearCloud DNS To Be Discontinued

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Blues7, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lws

lws Registered Member

Am using OpenDNS also and don't seem to have problems so far. Seems like everything responds a bit quicker since I've been using it.
    The above seems good enough for me. Being in Sandboxie helps in the malware hits also, along with Avast.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Guess what? I tried that, and then I entered them normally again (198.153.192.1 198.153.194.1). No problems with the Internet connection.

Now, I just need to change my firewall rules... :eek:

:thumb:

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So it works with the IPs flipped?

Could it have been a firewall rule problem in the first place? I know you've had connection issues in the past due to firewall rules.

4. m00nbl00d

I think it does. At least, I couldn't notice any problems with the Internet connection. But, I only tried it for brief seconds. After that I flipped them back to their original positions.

No, my firewall rules have been static for quite a long time now. I haven't made any changes when testing Norton DNS, except changing the DNS IPs.

Anyway, it's working. At least for now. I'll see how it fairs and if it's a keeper.

5. elapsed

I believe you may have some connection issue with one of the servers then. Using the other IP (should) be forcing it to pick a different server. Seeing as all your relatives have it (assumably with different setups) it could be a country specific routing issue.

6. m00nbl00d

Maybe so. Anyway, it's working. ;) I must say, I find it to be a bit faster resolving domains than CC. :D

Also, to all who may be interested, I purposufully entered a wrong domain in the address bar, and I was not taken to a Ask search page, at all.

So, I wonder if Symantec still has a partnership with them, or if their Privacy page has not been updated to reflect any changes?

All I got was a page warning me that the domain I was trying to enter does not exist and to access Symantec's website to know more about malware and all that. Nothing related to Ask.com.

7. elapsed

Same here, yey! Thus begins my try at liking NortonDNS with a good start! ^^

8. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I've been using Norton DNS for a while now, and it has never been down and is no different in terms of speed then my ISP's DNS. (a good thing)

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

as far as fighting malware goes, i consider a DNS like Norton or Clearcloud like a "fat-free" extra.

it's nice to have a little extra protection like those, especially since it doesn't take any system resources.

i'll use Norton for the time being but i would not lose much sleep if that were canceled also. ;)

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

And what is quite clear to me is that you have misquoted the OpenDNS statement, and when called on it, rather than speaking to that point, you have opted for making me out to be someone who "doesn't understand". I have freely admitted that I am new to the OpenDNS service, and while it is entirely possible that I have some things to learn about it, I am not new to understanding the English language. You misquoted the OpenDNS statement and have not acknowledged doing so, plus you have now said that OpenDNS simply alerts and doesn't block, when the statement from OpenDNS clearly says, "At this time, this feature blocks the Conficker virus and the Internet Explorer Zero Day Exploit, and is continually expanded to include other types of malicious sites."

Is this a case of OpenDNS not knowing what their own service does, or is it a case of you ignoring some facts and adding in a few others as you see fit?

Rather than posting back with another attempt to make it appear that I don't understand something, perhaps you could explain why you are so prone to misquoting facts and even creating a few of your own.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Same here, lws. :thumb:

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

13. elapsed

If you were offended by this, my apologies. I am not good at explaining things. I was not trying to offend you, merely trying to get the point across.

14. elapsed

Is test.domain what you entered?

test.png

15. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

16. m00nbl00d

I don't know what to say. I get the same as elapsed. :doubt:

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

This is what I am seeing :doubt:

Attached Files:

18. moontan

moontan Registered Member

yeah, i see that screen sometimes if i enter a wrong url.

it's of the the "extras" of Norton DNS. ;)

19. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Maybe what we get depends on where we are. It really does not
    matter to me what I get, since this is a page that will be displayed
    rarely.

Bo

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes it is. My page looks different though, like Kernelwars.

21. elapsed

I was looking around for how to report a False Positive for future reference. This email address was the only thing I could find short of making a forum post: nortondns -at- symantec -dot- com

I haven't tried it and hope I don't have to, but thought it would be useful to post.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'd be interested in hearing more, J_L. Sounds as though you have?
    Not to worry, elapsed. More than being offended, I'm just looking for some truth and accuracy in what is represented here. And what you are saying is not syncing up with what OpenDNS is saying.

23. malexous

malexous Registered Member

Norton Safe Search is not available for all regions. Some of us are lucky.

24. m00nbl00d

Well, you're all correct in the way you're interpreting what's mentioned in OpenDNS. It will block/prevent Conficker... from phoning home, by blocking the domains.

It will also let you verify stats, so that you know with which domains your network/host has been connecting with.

-http://blog.opendns.com/2009/03/30/worried-about-conficker-on-april-1-setting-up-opendns-can-protect-your-network/

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes I have, although it was a long while ago. Seeing that OpenDNS didn't change their protection, I don't think there will be much difference. PM me if you're interested for links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.