Clear Recent History in Firefox

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by caspian, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I updated my firefox installations and the "Clear Recent History" option under tools is now missing. Does anyone know what is going on here? I often open a new tab, close the previous one, and clear recent history with all items checked to prevent tracking when I go to a new login page. This is not good, in my opinion.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi.
    not sure if this helps you at all but i found "clear recent history" in the history section of the FF settings.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Just upgraded to 21 from 20, I looked, yes it gone from tools, found it under History. As I think about, seems like the perfect place for it.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I haven't upgraded yet but the change not only makes sense, it also makes it easier to get the job done.

Bo

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

As others have said, it's now under History. Also, do you use Ghostery? It can be configured to basically does this in real-time.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Hey guys thanks, found it. Hi Lockbox. Yes I do have Ghostery. It can clear all data after I close everything except for a new tab??

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

I am sorry. I know this thread is a little old.

Do you consider just using "Always use private browsing mode"?

9. zenapp

zenapp Registered Member

I just delete the mozilla folder from

C:\Users\*************\AppData\Roaming

and set up prefs.js

at

C:\Program Files\Aurora\defaults\profile so it all rebuilds (with bookmarks stored as html)

hope this helps.

Z

ps - Prefs can be modified in a similar way to tor browser bundle prefs to add to security?

10. camelia

camelia Registered Member

I have the same question

Thanks
    Camelia

11. siljaline

12. siljaline

You should have started a new thread of your own as your query doesn't quite relate to the question asked. :)

Private Browsing - Browse the web without saving information about the sites you visit -
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...without-saving-info?esab=a&s=private browsing

Unless you have a specific reason not to have your visits to sites and so on saved in the Browser history cache, this setting on a permanent basis would not be recommended.
    Post a new question to the nice folks at Mozilla Support if required.
    http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new

13. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

I have also set my FF to never remember history and it works well, ccleaner does not see any cache or sometimes just a 42k small file which I assume is nothing.

Of course you could run sandboxie also and click n clean firefox addon which can once set up automatic delete any other history in ff:

http://www.hotcleaner.com/clickclean_firefox.html

14. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I can't seem to remember exactly what it was, but I seem to remember there was a reason I decided against private browsing mode in favor of my own customized configuration. I don't see it listed on the page you provide, I remember it had something to do with data storage in particular. Whatever the case, I seem to have decided a customized configuration of Firefox with disable caches, disabled plugins, etc. was more private. Anyone else remember what exactly they said private browsing mode stored or saved? Clearly the information on this page is updated, but that doesn't mean the previous data storage concern is actually gone. I'm still searching, to see if I can find the exactly wording.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  15. Tipsy

Tipsy Registered Member

Thank you but I was not asking for help. I was giving help to Caspian and others. Or trying to give help.

Isnt Private Browsing a higher security setting?
    It seems a relevant option for a security board discussion.
    I almost always use Private Browsing as a permanent basis. For most browsing it does not cause too many problems for me.

16. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

Dito, I also use private browsing mode exclusively, I see no real issues However I do have occassional hiccups with some sites, I can live with this and seems par for the course when using add ons such as NoScript/RequestPolicy/Ghostery etc,
    I am intrested into what the potential pitfalls are if any when this option is enabled full time.

17. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.