Clear AVG toolbar search history?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AF2008, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AF2008

AF2008 Registered Member

Hi all,

Just installed AVG 8 and am loving the new features, but does anyone know how to clear the search history in the AVG toolbar, please?

Thanks!
    AF

2. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

Yes, I too would like to know how to do this!

Green Giant

3. Masterwizard

Masterwizard Registered Member

If you go to your explorer:

> c:
    >> Documents and Settings
    >>> {Your User Name}
    >>>> Application Data
    >>>>> AVGTOOLBAR

Delete the file called >> COMBOSEARCH

Make sure you have closed your Internet Explorer when you delete this file.
    If you dont it will remember your history and just create a new file. This need to be done every time you want to clear your history.

:D

4. Green Giant

Thanks MasterWizard! It is a bit of a roundabout way to effect the deletion, so hope that AVG will make it simpler for their users!

5. AF2008

AF2008 Registered Member

Fantastic! Thank you very much for this, Masterwizard! :)

6. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

If you're using CCleaner you can easily add an entry to delete it.

7. Green Giant

I deleted COMBOSEARCH yesterday (March 11) with IE7 closed and all was well in that the search history had gone. Today it is back for today's searches, so please AVG, devise a simpler way of deleting this information.

8. bity510

bity510 Registered Member

I have a fix to having to delete the history over and over again but without turning the "Search Shield" off or uninstalling the toolbar altogether. If you like the Search Shield results but don't want it to track your history... do as was said above in this thread to delete the history. Then, when you reopen IE go to "View" then "Toolbars" and then uncheck "AVG Security Toolbar" and check "Lock Toolbars". You can now search from google (most likely yahoo and others) from their search box without it popping your text up into the AVG toolbar search box to be saved in it's history. When the search results pop up on google, you will see that they are still being filtered by AVG though as they will still show the little check marks and what not. Finally, once doing a few searches, to be sure I was correct about the history not being saved.. I put the toolbar back up there and checked to be sure it had no history. Then turned it off once again and then went to the AVG settings file to make sure that combosearch file had not been re-created. It hadn't been. I think this fix may work until AVG figures out a more user friendly way to turn off the history option. Hope this helps. ;)

Sorry for the long explanation and lack of clarity.. its almost 2am and this was the best I could do tonight! Thanks

9. JohnLockley

JohnLockley Registered Member

Thanks VERY much for the tip on deleting COMBOSEARCH.
    For a long time now I have used and valued Acesoft's "Tracks Eraser".
    Mine is set to do a thorough clean-up on exit from my Internet program (IE7 but it works for others).
    It has a set of Application plug-ins to deal with special situations, and you can specify your own. I have set up a plug-in to delete COMBOSEARCH.ACS **automatically** as part of the clean-up.
    Until AVG comes up with a better approach, I can recommend this. I think the Tracks Eraser software is value for money in any event. I guess there are other track removers around which may have a similar approach - I haven't needed to go beyond the one I have.
    Thanks again - no other answer (and there have been many queries) has gone beyond the standard history erasing procedures, none of which "know" about this file.
    I don't normally join forums, but you've convinced me that this is a good one.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  10. kwade

kwade Registered Member

Can you explain this for me? My laptop is my work computer and I cant get to that combosearch file. I guess because its under the user name (administrator) which I cannot access.

11. Emperioli

Emperioli Registered Member

HOW to Clear your history in AVG

Hello Everyone!

I noticed that when I was looking for a solution on how to clear your History using the AVG Toolbar not many people knew how to answer this on Google. That's how I got to this website. But don't worry, I indefatigable worked hard and searched after searched for the answer. Down below you will find exactly what I was trying to post on AVG Feedback blog.But for some reason, it did not let me post- because the thing said my feedback was to long. Well, enough of words here is what I said to them ( Well at least I tried to voice my opinion)

Dear Sir or Madam,

While searching for an answer on how to delete recent history in the toolbar provide by AVG-- the directions that were given, were not as comprehensible as thought they should of have been.

When you give instructions, please remember that not all users understand technical language. Help the novice on how to locate the Documents and settings by telling them in this format.

For Windows XP.
    Click Start. Then Double Click on my Computer. After done that> Double Click on your Local Disk C drive.
    Look for Documents and settings folder and Double Click it.
    Look for the Owner Folder and...

Double Click on the Owner Folder (the reason I say this is because most Windows Xp is titled by Owner not by User)

Then Double Click on the Application Data Folder. Then, look for AVGTOOLBAR Folder and double click it.

Then after you have done with that, look for the ComboSearch.acs. Look for a picture of a bear, then Delete the file and you are done.

Hopefully this will aid the novice some relief on how to discern a little bit more on how to trouble shoot technical issues and how to discern technical language without confusion.

Hope all of you find this easy to read. If you don't understand, let me know okay. I tried with every attempt and possibility to make sound of voice comprehensible, knowable, intelligible, coherent, logical, lucid, and simple for everyone to understand it.

REMEMBER...

EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO CLEAR YOUR HISTORY IN THE TOOLBAR, YOU HAVE TO REPEAT THE SAME STEPS EVERY SINGLE TIME. BUT, ABOUT THE TIME YOU GET FAMILIAR WITH THIS, YOU PROBABLY WOULDNT EVEN NEED TO LOOK FOR THIS DIRECTIONS ANY MORE. WHY, BECAUSE WHEN THAT TIME COMES AGAIN, YOU'LL BE PRO.

A clear understanding has a better approach for a better solution. Thanks.

Emperioli.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.