Cleaning Vacant Clusters with Restoration

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dw426, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I've just started using Restoration again and I'm kind of confused. I did a cleanup of deleted files and Restoration proceeded to clean a bit over 39 million vacant clusters. The process completed, no problems. However, when I re-check for deleted files, there's some 80,000 left without even using the computer again after the first clean. Strange, but ok. When I go to clean these, Restoration wants to clean again 39 million vacant clusters.

Now if that's what it's got to do, fine, but does it have to do that? That was a 4+ hour process the first go 'round. Am I using this program wrong? Why do I have 80k+ deleted files to clean immediately after the first cleaning session?

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Some program on your PC is continuosly writing to disk and piling up deleted files as you run it.

This is what i do, i shut down via Task Manager all non-essentials, in my case some customization apps, and i also disconnect from the internet and turn off security apps.

To really speed RESTORATION up i close explorer.exe and away goes the desktop except for RESTORATION.

After it finishes and you delete file records too, check again, then simply reboot your PC.

There should be much fewer listings then.

EASTER

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi Easter, thanks for the reply, I'll do as you suggested and see what happens. Maybe it's Avast or something making all those files. I checked the system for malware and such and came up clean, so I at least don't have that to worry about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.