Clean Slate?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by rendez2k, Aug 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

has anyone used Clean Slate from Fortres Grand? Looks like a returnil type program that does it all - including AV updates and software that requires reboots from what I read on another forum. Or maybe its just too good to be true?

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That means that you can pass from a virtualized state to a normal one without rebooting?

Looks Good.

3. rendez2k

I'll image my machine and get it installed! Looks like theres some comprehensive videos on the site too. Pricing also surprisingly cheap if it works well.

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Seems like it's a really nice application. I would try it, but if it alters the Master Boot Record then I won't be able to. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

From their site:

If that is true they have found the holy grail :)
    Gotta test this

6. rendez2k

Well, unless I've missed something it appears changes can't be held over reboots? Still, appears it does a good job other than that. I'd like to test it on my main machine but I'm not sure if it will play nice with FDISR? Anyone been brave a tested it yet :)

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I think they sell a lot of software to schools etc, the only thing I've read about Clean Slate is how it can be bypassed (don't know about recent versions.) Doing a current search on FortresGrand turned up this from McAfee.

8. ambient_88

Considering that Fortres Grand has a lot of clients, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Also, it said "...some people would consider adware, spyware, or other potentially unwanted applications." Clearly, it's just an advise to help people decide whether they want to go to that site or not.

9. Meriadoc

I wont.
    or programs. PC Manifest.
    Look, I'm not a great fan of siteadvisor type services, it was the only reference I found at the time although it being from McAfee, but I do like to find out a lot about a company, the people behind it and rep before using their software.

10. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Gave it a quick test.

Should be great when used for the purpose for which it was designed-to give protection from public access to institutional computers from malicious or inexperienced users.

Not really suitable for software testing.

The one with the most potential for this is Comodo's Disk Shield,which soon will be able to save software installation changes after reboot.

11. Meriadoc

ShadowUser Pro also can remain in shadow after restart and has a commit, what I'm really looking for is to go in/out without a reboot, does Clean Slate?

12. rendez2k

Just gave it a quick test this morning and it appears you can enter in and out of without a reboot. I booted the computer then enabled protection (appears you have to enter a password then go into the control panel). I made some wallpaper changes, deleted icons/files etc. Then I took it out of protection and made a new document. Put it back into protection and made some more changes. Then took it out of protection and made a new document. Finally I rebooted and what I was left with is my original PC with the two new documents I'd created! I'll need to do some comprehensive testing but its worked well so far.

It has a fairly nice control panel which shows you changes made to the system and the program itself is quite configurable. Hopefully somebody here will do the normal virus/killdisk type tests.

13. Meriadoc

Thanks rendez2k for testing this. I will have a look at the weekend and try and beat it.

14. rendez2k

Have also had it running alongside FDISR in VM too - all was fine!

15. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

is that the same Comodo Disk Shield some girl circumvented with less than 100 lines of code?

http://forums.comodo.com/comodo_diskshield/helpless_and_useless_disk_shield-t24731.0.html

while i understand it's in beta, there appears to be, from what i was able to glean, some fundamental compromises in this apps code structure or something.

btw, i have no axe to grind with Comodo. i am actually hoping they get whatever this is resolved as i would like to replace Returnil with a free product, that protects more than the system disk/parition. :'(

Mike

16. Meriadoc

There's a lot of articles and code, behind closed forum I've looked at some interesting work but this is Clean Slate :)

17. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

right. i realise the thread is about Clean Slate. my reply was to supply some information to a poster that was awaiting the release of DiskShield. he/she may want to know to know the release of Comodos DiskShield could come with some gaping security holes.

Mike

18. ambient_88

Excuse me if I sound rude, but even though you realized that this is about Clean Slate you still posted something off-topic? The admins and mods have been saying over and over again to not feed the off-topic reply(ies) with additional responses.

19. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Ok back to clean slate though, has someone done some testing on it?

20. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I clearly stated I was referring not to security but to software testing,which a lot of people use these virtual apps for,if you took the trouble to digest what is written.

As regards Clean Slate,seems a good product for its purpose,which is to stop unauthorised access,but unduly complicated for home use security or software testing.

Of course it also isnt freeware, as opposed to a simple alternative like Returnil or DiskShield.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  21. rendez2k

Not sure if you guys got any further with testing, but I've just seen on FileForum that a new version has been released with

Not found out exactly what it means, but could be interesting (I'm a bit of a fan of Altiris!).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.