Clean Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JerryM, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have a new computer, and do not plan to keep the old one, or install its harddrive on the new.
    I am concerned about giving the old one away unless I can clean the hard drive. Is this possible, or do I need to break it up?

Jerry

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

There are certain programs which can overright unused disk space because when you delete a file, it is not actually erased but made invisible untill the space is needed again. Untill the unused disk space is overwritten, previously deleted data can be recovered. There are a few programs which will do this such as 'Eraser' and I believe there is one called 'NecroFile' whoever if you do some research you can probably find some better tools.

Jimbob

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

4. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

JerryM
    There is a small app (that will fit on a floppy) by the name of DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke disk). You can get it from here:-

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

It is also part of Eraser (link that bigbuck gave you.)

You just put the floppy into your drive and reboot on it. Select which wipe you want and go, but for Pete's sake don't do it until you're absolutely ready.

You can select either a quick wipe (overlaying with zero's) or several more far more complicated ones which may take several hours depending on the speed of your PC etc....but will render your HDD pretty safe to pass on. I use it before clean installs and can recommend it.

HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.