Clarify the *

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Disciple, Nov 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

I have looked through the help file and could not find an explanation of the asterick appearing in front of some of the process names. (See attached jpeg) Can some on enlighten me? BTW fantastic program :), it has enabled me to remove Active Ports and AWPTA (both of which have suddenly quit functioning) and replace them with one that gives me everything in one package.

Attached Files:

2. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Windows NT4/2K/XP

Under Windows 95/98 Port Explorer isn't able to map all sockets to their parent process (usually only the ones that are loaded very early by the system). Such processes will normally display with the process name of "--NETSTAT--", indicating that Port Explorer wasn't able to map the process, but it could still see the socket using standard netstat techniques. However under Windows NT4, 2K, and XP, Port Explorer is able to map ports to all processes by using undocumented functions that are built into the operating system. Sockets that would normally display as '--NETSTAT--' but have been resolved by Port Explorer using this technique will have an asterisk beside their name, for example:
    * c:\path\process.exe
    rather than...
    c:\path\process.exe

(That's from the Contents/Trouble-shooting "Operating System Specific Notes" page of the help file).

3. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Ghost wrote:
    (That's from the Contents/Trouble-shooting "Operating System Specific Notes" page of the help file).

:oops: Thanks, I guess my sometimers is showing again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.