CIS 5.8 private beta preview

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Yeah I know, it took me a long time to realize that, after years and years of using their firewall.
    Firewall is good, no question about it, other parts were always a joke to me and I didn't used them.
    But they refuse to improve firewall for some reason, listen to users and their suggestions, and they didn't touched it for years.
    You can install v3.x from years ago and latest one , you'll see no difference.

But fine, I said what I said and I still think that, Comodo is removed from my system and replaced by Norton firewall.
    You wanna use Comodo ... hey, it's a free world and good luck to you :)

2. Prole

Prole Registered Member

For a security suite that's only 2 years old, CIS is amazing.

I've been testing it for the past month, and the only thing that has slipped by was a tool-bar that was in their whitelist. Any unknown is stopped.
    I've tested every other AV and AV/FW suite (except G-Data and Coranti) and they all eventually fail; sometimes it takes 30 minutes - sometimes it takes 2 minutes. I think I was 2 weeks into the CIS test before I stumbled onto that toolbar.
    I'm running CIS on my host machine and I get very few pop-ups.

Some people are just a little too lazy/impatient/thin-skinned to use CIS.

I also suspect that a lot of Wilders members are paid employees of AVs that have a vested interest in spreading FUD about Comodo.

I remember coming here after getting infected for the 2nd time. I read all the threads trying to figure out which AV I should use, and I remember thinking..."wow, Comodo must really suck".
    I decided on another free AV (I had paid for the previous AV) and it seemed very strong, but 4 or 5 months later I was infested for the 3rd time.
    That's when I got really serious about security.
    I visited the Comodo forum and noticed that they have almost no threads from people who have been infected (relative to other AV forums)
    That's what convinced me to install it.
    Glad I did.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

If you watch the video you will see a default block option for D+ and Firewall for unknown items.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Yeah I just don't really get the criticisms. I see there are problems with Comodo, looking at their forum is evidence enough -- their work seems unfocused and DACS is never heard of.

But it definitely does a great job protecting my computer.

6. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Not that hard to achieve if you sandbox everything unknown , sure there is a whitelist for ccleaner , hitman and such, but the majority of apps. will be sandboxed. And that's all there is to "nothing gets through" scheme.

7. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

That makes no difference to me. Why was the alert displayed ?? I'll tell you why.. "Because Comodo has no clue whether is malicious or not".

This is deja vu all over again. Comodo did the same thing back in the firewall days, catering to the leaktest crowd with the likes of Matousec. Boy, that revolutionized things, didn't it :)

The only security is one that the user understands and can use correctly. Surely Comodo knows that by now.

8. Hungry Man

Why is sandboxing everything bad? o_O

All that means is that your programs get to run but they'll be sandboxed. Most programs still run sandboxed, even malware. It's just that they won't be able to damage the system. It allows for a "sneak preview" of questionable programs.

Though I think it would be great it they added a "community" ability like Mamutu.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looking forward to HIPS improvements in 64-bit.

What is this IPv6 filtering in Firewall Behaviour Settings?

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Loving the GUI!
    I want some change logs D00d! :D

11. smage

smage Registered Member

I can feel the excitement and passion building with this preview. There is still a lot to come guys, the major changes are for v6.

For those who do not like Comodo, just switch to another product.

12. Hungry Man

I just wish they would focus. It seems like most of their other products aren't exactly useful and they have a forum dedicated to starting new projects.

13. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

The alert was displayed tell you something was blocked. Lets you know it found something and blocked it from harming your computer.

14. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes we cannot change them so we have to adapt. The trick is that the only good Comodo product is CIS, so for other products like backups, cleaners or browsers, you have to consider other companies.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I also suspect it works the other way round too :rolleyes:
    ellison

16. smage

smage Registered Member

Well, in your free time do try out NIS and you will see how powerful it is too.

17. Hungry Man

NIS is pay only, right?

No thanks.

Besides, Comodo fulfills my needs just fine.

18. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes NIS is pay only while Comodo is free. CIS is just a little bit more difficult to use but it provides excellent protection for free.

With each new version, Comodo is becoming easier to use, so soon it should be accessible to everyone.

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I would rather pay $8 to use Norton, than get paid $8 to use CIS.

20. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

:thumb:

21. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

The only way I use NIS is for my wife who doesn't understand computers. I call it the stupid-proof security. It appears that some of folks on here, want there software to make decisions for them. That's why I don't use it. I actually like to see whats going on my laptop.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

What an idea. Software that actually tells us what is safe and not safe. That's crazy!

Seriously, why use a AV program if I have to tell it what is safe and not safe? Defeats the purpose.

23. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Its called being an informed and knowledgeable security professional. I don't know about you but I like to get HIP notifications.

24. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

The problem with CIS has never been the protection; I haven't really seen anything get past D+ as long as I answer everything correctly, but people have said for every release that it'll be quiet and quiet and more quiet, which doesn't seem to really happen.

When I recently tried 5.4 on a new system (with Win7x64), it blocked half of my applications, I got some popups about svchost.exe trying to accept connections from some unknown IP addresses (with no real advice how to answer to them) and it often froze the computer with a black screen when running full-screen applications and some Comodo alert came behind the fullscreen app. It has been doing exactly the same since 3.0. I can tolerate the pop-ups though, but I can't tolerate random system freezes when launching games unknown to Comodo.

For many users the protection of Comodo isn't also that good, because when people find out that it blocks a lot of clean applications, they're going to start just clicking "OK", "Allow", etc. to all popups, allowing also malware. Has happened to some of my friends who got hit by TDL while being protected by Comodo.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

As a former Comodo advocate I believe there are two clear issues - one is the quality of the software and the other is the company image/attitude. Comodo security software has been all over the map. Most of the time it has been beta so bugs and inconsistencies are to be expected, but sometimes the released versions still have significant issues. Many people tolerate it because it's free and that's fine, but it's more than many newbies can handle and it's reasonable to ask why. Regarding attitude they are sometimes zealous and make exaggerated claims. I've sometimes felt like they forget it's just software and not a political movement or sports team. That has resulted in extreme conflicts in their forum discussions. Personally I'm not interested in being on a "team". I do continue to try their software from time to time and I see that it's getting better, but even now I think it's best for more advanced users who can cope with the idiosyncrasies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.