CIS 5.8 private beta preview

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011
  2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Looks great. Can't wait to try it out. Languy mentioned that some improvements were made to D+. There are a few new options as well. I'm hoping that DACS will be integrated at some point. Been waiting for that for a while. Of course it seems like the development for it has lost steam. It's still a pretty rock solid security suite.

3. guest

guest Guest

D+ has been improved, also the x64 HIPS will be as good as the x86 HIPS, and I don't know if it will be in this release where the full virtualize sandbox will be include.
    About DACS I think that Valkyrie will be include before DACS, we will see.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Exciting... really can't wait to give it a try.

edit: Still no full virtualization. It's a shame but he shows it to be fairly effective anyways.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. guest

guest Guest

The full virtualization is something that will be on CIS 6 or before, probably on CIS 6.

6. Hungry Man

Yes, I'd heard it was going to be in CIS 6. I was just hoping =p

7. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Is there the same old "Ask the user", "Ask the user", "Ask the user" for everything ? Or is there some improvement. I am amazed by how Melih continues to stand by that method of product design. As long as they continue to do that, Comodo will continue to SUCK.

8. Hungry Man

It asks the user in specific cases, the "noise" is quieted by their large whitelist and by rules.

9. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

I lost confidence in Comodo's products.
    Everything seams to be at beta stage and so called upgrades are nothing more than revamps and/or new modules thrown in randomly, like the sandbox feature.
    The only trustable features (Firewall, Defense+) have not been worked on for at least two years.
    The AV is a joke (it only performs well in Languy's tests).
    The main site shows applications to be downloaded that do not exist anymore (like BoClean).
    The number of offered apps is huge http://www.comodo.com/home/free/free-protection.php and most don't work properly (Time Machine is a PC killer).
    etc.. (other considerations would violate forum policy).

10. Hungry Man

How has defense+ not been worked on? We see in 5.8 that it has been and we know that 6 has plans for a revamp.

I'm just not sure I understand the criticism that "so called upgrades are nothing mroe than revamps and/or new modules thrown in randomly." Examples?

And how would you improve the Firewall?

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I agree that some of the product line hasn't been updated in a while. I disagree that the AV is a joke and that the sandbox was "thrown in randomly". The AV is very effective for a layered defense. Would I use it alone? Probably not. It does a very good job catching malware. What it doesn't catch, gets either sandboxed, caught by D+ or the cloud scanner picks it. I haven't seen too much get by it. Occasionally something gets digitally signed and D+ picks up on it. The sandbox is a good feature of the suite. It wasn't just thrown in there. It works in concert with everything else.

12. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

It does a very good job of catching malware and goodware and leaves you the user to sort it out !! Why would I want to pay Comodo $50 for that. Seems like a waste of money.

13. Hungry Man

It's free...

And it has a huge whitelist.

14. Jose_Lisbon

We heard Languy saying it. Just check the GUI/options; same old.

More comprehensive whitelist, more predefined app rules... it's the same FW and D+ as in CIS V3.

15. Hungry Man

I agree that the whitelist needs to be larger... I assume they work on it though. There are millions of applications, you can't expect them all to be sorted out. If they could be we wouldn't have malware.

It's also been said that the HIPS module has been updated to work better on x64. That's a significant update.

16. Jose_Lisbon

Yes it was. Remember V4? It was not a security suite, it was a mess of several modules hastly put together without proper testing.
    V5 is a more functional V4.
    Languy's video only showed the same GUI with new colors and some supposed improvements.
    I don't care what V6 will be. A matter of confidence; I simply don't trust Comodo since CIS V4, the continuous problems the AV caused, the tragedies of CTM, the farce of DACS, the diatribes of the fanboys...

17. Hungry Man

You think Languy is simply lying about improvements?

18. Jose_Lisbon

No, I respect his work in YouTube and I'm a faithful watcher.
    But there is such a thing as wishful thinking.
    And there is such a thing as being lied to.

How many times (oh, how many) I read in Comodo's forums
    "this is going to be improved"
    "this is going to be solved"
    "this, this, this,"

19. Hungry Man

Sure. DACS is a fine example of that.

But in terms of HIPS being improved I think that it's a unlikely to be a blatant lie. Whether the product itself will protect you is all that's important. I don't think that adding sandboxing was some sloppy add-on feature, it fits in with Defense+.

20. Jose_Lisbon

As well as Avast's?
    Or even Chrome's?

We could go on and on.
    To finish my two cents... too many flaws, too many unpolished features, too many near misses, too many broken promises, too many not listening to users feedback, etc...

In the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
    I was an unconditional fan of CIS up to V3; then I jumped ship. Just my option.

Fortunately lots of combos around (and free ones).
    And there's always that pearl, that gem called Sandboxie. God bless Tzuk.

21. Hungry Man

Not sure what you're trying to say.

I agree that Comodo has wayyyyyy too much on their plate. They should pick a product and try to stick to it but instead they have a page full of products and development seems to be spread thin.

22. Jose_Lisbon

Yes!
    That's the perfect summary of all I said.

23. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Any credibility languy had was lost when he was found to be in cahoots with Comodo. I dont think hes lying, but I wouldn't believe him either.

What do you think is going to happen when a Comodo Admin does reviews of other products on YouTube and surprise surprise, every one of them appears to be worse that Comodo. What a joke!

24. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I have to agree with everything you said in this and other posts in this thread.

Comodo is sadly nothing but a joke.

Languy ... loved his reviews , but he's become very boring and there are much better reviewers out there.
    Besides, he always yawns and makes weird noises (heavy breathing and swallowing) in his videos.
    Not to mention his obsession with Comodo products, I mean fine, that's his choice and I wish him good luck.

25. Hungry Man

We'll see when it comes out. I don't think they would blatantly lie about features, that would only hurt them when the product comes out. Whether their reviews on their own/ other products are legit is something else -- take everything with a grain of salt.

edit: I think calling comodo "nothing but a joke" is pretty silly though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.