Chromium Browser update for Precise 12.04.5 LTS screws up on launch - i.e. doesn't launch

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 19, 2016.

1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

This AM I installed Chromium Browser from Ubuntu Software Center and it apparently was updated to version 48.0 from 37.0.

The problem is that chromium-browser executable no longer launches, instead it gets the following output from attempting to print its new version number with the following command:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ chromium-browser -version
    Using PPAPI flash.
    /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser)
    /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.18' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libnet.so)
    /usr/lib/chromium-browser/chromium-browser: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.19' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libskia.so)

Anyone know how to fix thiso_O

-- Tom

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Using Synaptic Package Manager with Force Package version fixed the problem. Not that I really want to downgrade, but until the problem is fixed I will stay with what works vs what doesn't.

-- Tom

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

newer google chrome and forks are no longer available for linux x86 and in special ubuntu 12.04 lts since march
    https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/message/raw?msg=chromium-dev/FoE6sL-p6oU/mVlwyh02AgAJ
    similar for opera
    https://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/02/initial-opera-developer-37-release/

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Doesn't the PPA maintainer provide a new libc6?

You could try backporting a newer libc6 to Precise. It's not recommended, but you should be fine as long as the backporting process succeeds.

Or, if you don't want to take the risks, you could install everything into a chroot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.