Chromebook - why?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by emmjay, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user405

user405 Registered Member

I guess the price and the reduced complexity are the main advantages for this products.

I remember when the tablets came up I was wondering who's going to buy it. But it seams people nowadays become frantic consumers.

2. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I have some friends who work in Banking Security. They are getting one as a test laptop to determine its cost as a single-use system. It will be hardened down and tested over time alongside other OS single-use systems. They are doing price/cost comparisons for a set of online security solutions. Single use systems to date have been too pricey for a myriad of reasons. They see this product as having potential as large data storage is not required, it has a stable OS, a secure platform which can be locked down, a reputable hardware manufacturer, an open system platform giving it international acceptance and a great price. Maybe they are onto something, I do not know.

I guess totally isolating a system to a single purpose is the next step in security. I have never heard of this before, but they tell me the cost of recovering your identity can be staggering both financially and emotionally. They are also looking at the cost to recover based on time spent and lost product. A clean install of the OS on a single purpose system can be immediate and would not have the usual concerns that come with recovering the family PC. The cost to price is the object of this study.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.