Chrome Stable Channel Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Page42, Nov 12, 2013.

1. test

test Registered Member

program files...

10 x64 AU (14393.105, UAC max, Login as SUA)

2. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

This information is not correct, if say softly.
    (More specifically, it is deeply misleading.)

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

To be more specific, you should point out where the wrong lies, shouldn't you?
    If you don't elaborate you could be unfair and your words kind of inflammatory, and that's of bad taste.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

For mine it was Program Files folder, UAC on max, Windows 10 64-bit AU. I am just always accustomed to accepting the UAC prompt when updating Chrome manually via the About menu option. We'll have to see when the next update comes along.

5. test

test Registered Member

idem

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

So you managed to modify files in Program files folder, logged in as SUA with UAC at max with no notification? That's strange.
    Maybe Chrome is using it's update service to perform update even when you run update check manually? I don't see other way to bypass UAC at max...

7. test

test Registered Member

infact it is not true (except in this particular scenario)
    boh?!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  8. Minimalist

Can you elaborate? Windows 10 doesn't protect Program files folder and everybody can write in those folders?

9. test

test Registered Member

i mean that it's the first time that i don't see consent prompt (except in this particular circumstance)...

10. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Any suggestions how to improve font rendering on Chrome? It looks bad compared to Firefox.
    I've tried enabling LCD text antialiasing in chrome://flags but it's still the same.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

With all due respect, I think this thread has gone off-topic with quite a few posts, don't you all think?
    This thread is meant for announcing updates and download links.

12. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

13. yeL

yeL Registered Member

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Chrome 53.0.2785.113

Offline Installers
    (no redirection towards landing pages)
    Consumer version
    x64

redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/lmjz5e7inp23tra9nbogeeqhyuxgrhtf04ojt3q2sevq2tfsffhbt4lcukliqfwq2otqtzol3i7b3lqm7cpx8gtzegk2h36qvgj/53.0.2785.113_chrome_installer.exe
    x86
    redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/n3kv6k1707f6zppgg282deyza786ftybs910qb1ydd07cecpp3k4sbx8226qlrm5ea6pshtly9hiwa0x1uool88j7r3bsfapdq1/53.0.2785.113_chrome_installer.exe

Enterprise version (msi installers)
    x64
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi
    x86
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi

Differences between Consumer and Enterprise versions
    1. Enterprise lands in Program Files (x86) even though x64 is used, while Consumer in AppData.
    2. In a multi-user scenario, msi installs Chrome for all users by default.

Here are a couple other features you should be aware of:
    1. If a user already had the Consumer version installed and you push out the Enterprise edition to their machine, the next time they launch the Consumer edition it will detect that the Enterprise edition is installed. After displaying an explanatory message to the user, the Consumer edition uninstalls itself, the user's Chrome shortcuts are updated and the Enterprise edition is launched.
    2. The user's personal settings from the Consumer edition will be picked up by the Enterprise edition, as long as the version number of the Enterprise edition is greater or equal to the Consumer edition.

Therefore, I recommend to install Enterprise on a clean fresh system.
    Also I recommend Enterprise version for those who are using programs like AppGuard or ReHIPS which block running programs from AppData folder.

FAQs (Enterprise version)
    https://www.chromium.org/administrators/frequently-asked-questions

Policy List for Enterprise version: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

15. WildByDesign

No UAC prompt with today's stable Chrome release either. I'll have to run some logging next update to see what has changed with regard to the updating mechanism.

16. Minimalist

I got UAC prompt on Windows 7 but didn't get one on Windows 10. Both have max settings enabled. If I had to bet I would say it is using Google update service to run update (even those manually triggered).

17. WildByDesign

Interesting. I was looking into the Google services and scheduled tasks last night, along with Event Viewer among other things. So Windows 7 users with UAC on max are getting the prompt, while users on Windows 10 with UAC on max are not getting the prompt. I would assume that Windows 8.x would be more similar to Windows 10 with regard to UAC but we'll have to wait until someone can confirm that.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do the scheduled tasks in Windows 7 have the same permissions as those in Windows 10? One task I see in my Windows 10 install was created by Ccleaner to skip the UAC prompt.

19. WildByDesign

I don't have any functional Windows 7 virtual machines at the moment. But as far as Windows 10 goes, Google Chrome seems to have two different scheduled tasks, both of which suggest running as SYSTEM credential and running at the highest privilege level. Although I have never put much thought or time into what those tasks do specifically because I generally prefer to do things manually as much as possible.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Perhaps try disabling the Google tasks to see if UAC prompts are restored when updating Chrome?

21. WildByDesign

This might be the related fix: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=560393
    Bug title: Chrome on-demand updates should not elevate with GoogleUpdate versions 1.3.29.1 or higher
    Actually some pretty interesting comments within that as well.

22. guest

guest Guest

With previous versions: if i click in Chrome "help, about:" and if it then finds a new version = I get the UAC prompt and Chrome is updating.
    But with newer versions i get no UAC prompt anymore? (especially on Windows 10)
    Because of this fix mentioned above:

23. test

test Registered Member

24. WildByDesign

25. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Chrome 53.0.2785.116

Offline Installers
    Consumer version
    x64

redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/10dbykwkmmo2mn8sbmfgojo0m3dj0j4grp3um97qym6mt0trcy1n32flor3p6hgdm484h88n929zpcc22tiytfmaaoikitvm0z93/53.0.2785.116_chrome_installer.exe
    x86
    redirector.gvt1.com/edgedl/release2/13ymeq2s34cjfmelxjwgeti0czfnpjsoo4bycsqwg6h908s1qrzn1o8aatlhhpvhw0zg8aia2si5gtf6rnu5undm1ua0w58d5fgl/53.0.2785.116_chrome_installer.exe

Enterprise version (msi installers)
    x64
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise64.msi
    x86
    dl.google.com/dl/chrome/install/googlechromestandaloneenterprise.msi

Differences between Consumer and Enterprise versions
    1. Enterprise lands in Program Files (x86) even though x64 is used, while Consumer in AppData.
    2. In a multi-user scenario, msi installs Chrome for all users by default.

Here are a couple other features you should be aware of:
    1. If a user already had the Consumer version installed and you push out the Enterprise edition to their machine, the next time they launch the Consumer edition it will detect that the Enterprise edition is installed. After displaying an explanatory message to the user, the Consumer edition uninstalls itself, the user's Chrome shortcuts are updated and the Enterprise edition is launched.
    2. The user's personal settings from the Consumer edition will be picked up by the Enterprise edition, as long as the version number of the Enterprise edition is greater or equal to the Consumer edition.

Therefore, I recommend to install Enterprise on a clean fresh system.
    Also I recommend Enterprise version for those who are using programs like AppGuard or ReHIPS which block running programs from AppData folder.

FAQs (Enterprise version)
    https://www.chromium.org/administrators/frequently-asked-questions

Policy List for Enterprise version: https://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.