Chrome second year in a row strongest browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kees1958, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I raised this very point on the SRWare forums & the admin got back to me & claimed that Iron (4.0.280) uses a different branch to Chrome so doesn't need the same updates. Secunia seems to think that it is very safe.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Let's not forget all the other reasons not to use Chrome. http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Daveski17
    The fact Secunia has not a single vulnerability reported for Iron makes me wonder how active they watch it. When talking about browser security patches I'd better be safe then sorry.

@elapsed
    I'm aware of the list posted by SRWare, however most of those 'problems' can be disabled in Chrome as well. The biggest problem was the Client-ID witch got removed.

4. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

or you could just use a build of Chromium itself then. You don't deal with the lack of updates that Iron does since it's a dev build and there's literally a new build almost every other hour.

and it doesn't have the Google privacy problems that Chrome does.

I'd say the only real issue with Chromium vs Chrome is that Chromium doesn't have h264 HTML5 support. That's probably a non-issue for most people though.

5. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Why not use Google Chrome and replace the default search engine with Ixquick? Instructions to add Ixquick to your browser are here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.