Chrome search page issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mr.X, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I noticed Chrome started to show last six search queries automatically, wth? How to fix this?

search.png

This the way it was opening before:

search2.png

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

It's doing the same thing here, not found a way to get it back to the default behaviour yet.

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

4. guest

guest Guest

It is sending XHR-requests while you are typing something into the search-box. You can see them in the logger of uBlockO.
    Code:
    xhr -- https://www.google.com.mx/complete/search?[...]
    To stop the annoying "auto-completion feature" you can create a filter for this.
    For example (but you can customize it to your needs, or click on "--" in the logger and with a few mouse clicks you have created it)
    Code:
    ||www.google.com.mx/complete/search$xmlhttprequest,domain=google.com.mx,important
    Now these requests are blocked (at least for this domain) and the feature is now "turned off".
    Edit (2): The user want to have the autocompletion-feature enabled, so this post is not really a solution for it (because it will be disabled)
    (#1 "Chrome started to show last six search queries automatically")
    It seems that some flags need to be disabled: #6

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2017
  5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I know this feature and not dislike it. Problem is shown in the first pic up there, when last six searches show up just by opening the page, without typing anything.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Alright, disabling these flags did the trick:
    Code:
    chrome://flags/#enable-zero-suggest-redirect-to-chrome
    chrome://flags/#omnibox-tail-suggestions
    chrome://flags/#omnibox-entity-suggestions
    chrome://flags/#new-omnibox-answer-types
    chrome://flags/#omnibox-ui-max-autocomplete-matches
    I wonder what changed in last Chrome version though, that forces me to disable all of them, even one of them is unacceptable to "mitigate" this undesirable "feature", at least for me. I never ever had to tweak any of those flags before... :eek:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

This is getting weirder. Today I turned on my PC and laptop, opened Google Chrome and start page was normal, as expected. Then just by chance of curiosity I re-checked those flags again. Guess what, they were back to Default status, not Disabled like I left them yesterday, on both machines.

Even more weird, the start page is still normal as usual :confused:

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I saw the same activity that you posted, but i did nothing to remedy the situation.
    I assumed that there were settings in myactivity that needed my attention. I changed nothing and the issue corrected itself. I have not seen it return. It may have been a bug that they silently squatted. They can do that.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks, I understand. Yet I'm kind of concerned those flags returned to Default by themselves. Wth?
    How did they do that? remotely? how?

10. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I think the issue might have been on google's end as it reverted back to normal yesterday & is now not showing the last few searches.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I understand. Now my question is as I said above, how those flags I Disabled returned to Default.

12. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Not really sure of the answer to that, google have a habit of adding, removing & sometimes setting flags back to default in my experience.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I know for a fact that Google update services (gupdate & gupdatem) have both been changed from disabled to either manual or automatic on my 7x64 machines more than a time or two.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.