Chrome Plans to Kill Flash this Year

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AutoCascade, May 15, 2016.

1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

And yet Microsoft decided it was a good idea to force Flash on it's users. I don't understand that decision.

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've been waiting a long time for Flash to die but if HTML5 is the alternative I'll pass. I never realized how bad it sucks til YouTube started trying to force it. There are a couple of workarounds in FF to force Flash, an about:config setting and an extension. The only thing I really hate about Flash is they took away the offline installers. Now I don't update as much which probably isn't that secure.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

(off-topic I know, but just this last post)

That's great, but not enough. I'd like to opt-IN instead of opting OUT of Flash, and opting out is only possible if you hard-delete it's files (because you can't remove it like a regular program).

IMO Microsoft should not enforce 3rd-party programs. Flash? Minecraft? CandyFreakingCrushSaga?
    I know they have to make money, but the advertisements are invasive as it is, and Microsoft could've sticked with them instead of forcibly installing these "crapware" ("crapware" because most don't want these, and those who want will isntall them at their free will).

I'm seriously thinking about going back to XP, Vista, or 7.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

It's blocked by default now and they've also made it difficult to turn on the plugin. They broke out a check box in content settings to enable the PAPPI pdf client but no visible way to get to the plugins page. I mean you can get to it but only through chrome://plugins/ . That may lead to people who use widevine to complain.

9. Group Policy is a great way to block Flash on Windows 10 boxes. We have it disabled on all of out work production machines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.