Chrome isn't deleting flash cookies on exit

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by elapsed, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

For some reason the latest stable release of Chrome (32) isn't deleting flash cookies on exit when the "keep local data only until I quit my browser" setting is enabled. This happens on Linux and Windows.

Anyone else noticed this?
    Maybe a problem with the new flash v12 that's being bundled?
    Or maybe it's an issue with the PPAPI plugin?

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I ran a couple tests and all the cache was deleted both times. I disabled the Click & Clean extension first then enabled the "keep local data only..." setting. That's using Chrome v32 latest in x64 Linux.

3. elapsed

Have you disabled NPAPI flash in chrome://plugins/ ?

4. wat0114

yes, I forgot to mention that. I use only the PPAPI plugin.

5. elapsed

I don't get it...

If I go to youtube, play a video, close the browser, then open it, I'll always have Flash data from ytimg.com :(

6. wat0114

That's odd. I went even further and also disabled my script control extension HTTPS SB, in case it was somehow deleting cache and cookies, and tested again. No Flash cookies or anything was left in the cache after closing on Youtube then re-opening the browser.

7. elapsed

I actually installed Click & Clean to completely empty my cache on exit to avoid the Etag tracking. I just realized, even with Click&Clean set to remove cookies, flash cookies still persist in Chrome.

I'm totally stumped. I figured I'd turn off flash storage entirely (I can't remember the drawbacks of this), and that worked for a while, until it miraculously turned itself back on.

8. elapsed

It seems Click&Clear has an option called "securely close browser". Using this option is the only way I can get it to delete flash cookies on exit it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.