Chrome Hangout Services Extension ??

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bberkey1, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

Was checking my task manager and noticed this extension. It dose not show up in the extension tab and I never noticed it before, meaning I would have noticed it as i check the task manager often enough I would see an extra process running. Anyone have this situation happen to them or know how to remove the extension?

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I just noticed the same thing a couple days ago.

It only shows up if you are logged into your Google account. Log out of Google and it doesn't appear.

I don't know if this new with the latest release of Chrome or if it's been this way a while. I also do not know if it is removable.

3. bberkey1

Hmm. Sounds like strike 2 for chrome. This along with the new tabs page, I have a feeling they are preparing for a big move towards something that I may not be a fan of.

I read about the hangout services, but it could be a different subject. Either way if it is based on the link below, I want it gone as I have not and will not utilize the service, so I do not want it using up cpu and memory http://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts/

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I was thinking the same thing.

I need to modify my previous post. The hangouts extension seems to have a mind of its own. First I thought it would run if you were logged in. Then I thought it depended on whether there are Google cookies or local storage on the system regardless if you are logged in or not. Now I have no idea as it appears seemingly in random fashion.

I may be browsing for a new browser myself.

5. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I run Chromium and I just found out this component extension is running in the background.

My understanding is that it shouldn't be enabled on anything else than Google Chrome build. Not very happy. I wonder if it is because I installed the extension "Hangouts" last week to figure a bug which was preventing the extension to work (as reported by a user), though I uninstalled the extension iself, it appears "Hangout Services" is still in there.

So I found this flag which appears to have disabled it: --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages. Will see if it comes back.

6. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks for the information, but I'm not seeing that flag in Chrome.

7. gorhill

gorhill Guest

It's a command-line option. I did:

chromium-browser --disable-component-extensions-with-background-pages

And so far I didn't see "Hangout Services".

8. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks. I added the command line to the Chrome icon and so far it seems to have worked. No hangouts extension running in the background.

9. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I have a question: how do you find out if this extension starts running in background? Do you have task manager constantly open and check it out now and then? Or is there any other way to find out when this extension is running?

hqsec

10. bberkey1

It just so happened that when I was running some tests with HTTP Switchboard, I kept the task manager open and noticed it running a few times. To be honest the last few times I've open the task manager it has not been there, so perhaps I had a bug (just did a clean re-install the other week)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.