Chrome extension crashing multiple times

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bberkey1, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

The only extension I have is HTTP Switchboard and it seems to have crashed and when I click on the balloon in the bottom corner to relaunch it, the extension will crash right away when I reload a page. This has happened before in the past with other extensions, and the only option seems to be a restart of the computer. Shutting chrome down and restarting does not resolve the situation.

Is there a way to diagnose the problem to find a solution? Since it just states that it has crashed and not for any particular reason I'd like to get to the bottom of this for future instances.

2. gorhill

gorhill Guest

I need to understand the overall picture:

- When you say "balloon in the bottom corner", what are you referring to? I can't make sense of this (I use chromium).

- How much free memory do you have left?

3. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

The balloon pops up in the bottom right of the task bar near the time/date with a bell for an icon. It looks like the "updates available" balloon that shows up for various programs like windows update and any other indicator. I didn't think to check the memory, but it couldn't have been too much of a problem as nothing else was running or using any real resources from the computer. I has happened in the past with old extensions not just HTTP, but not very often so I just was looking for some general info about the situation.

4. gorhill

gorhill Guest

So the "balloon" is a warning from the OS, not the browser, right? What does it say exactly? What was the text inside the balloon?

You mean you can relaunch the extension by clicking on the balloon which is also used to update Windows? I think there is a lot of confusion here. The extension is activated from the browser, not from the OS. Are you confusing "extension" with "browser"?

How do you come to the conclusion "the extension will crash right away"? What happens exactly and with which information do you conclude "the extension will crash right away"? I ask because I've never experienced a crash of any extensions (it's javascript), so I want to know what you are seeing exactly, as opposed as your interpretation of what your are seeing.

5. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

When an extension fully crashes in Chrome, Chrome sends a Chrome notification that looks like the following:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers_years/2013_1/google-chrome-extensions-crash.png

This can be caused by policy problems (like EMET, HIPS, or sandbox prog not allowing proper file privs etc) or a bug/corruption within Chrome's databases.

I would consider checking your security settings and re-installing Chrome--you can extract your user data from your current version and add it back.

6. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Ah I see, so the balloon notification is to Chromium crashing in an extension background page what the "Aw Snap!" page is to Chromium crashing onto a particular web page. (thanks to sandboxing, the whole browser is not taken down.) Now it really sucks I can't investigate why Chromium would crash in the extension page, that really got me curious to find out why/where.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.