Chrome Back Button Doesn't Often Work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mman79, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

No no, Bodhitree, I'm sorry but you're misinformed. Canary is bleeding edge, then you have Dev, which is slightly more stable and is in the process of getting kinks worked out. Then you have Beta, which is stable enough for use but still may have a few warts here and there, then we get to ready for prime time (we hope) release channel. Look, it's all right here: http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel#TOC-How-do-I-choose-which-channel-to-use-

So, no, you're just not correct here :) Btw, security through obscurity really only works for those who use HIPS and other complicated security setups. It does not at all apply for browsers. Then again, and I believe I'm stating something HungryMan said not too long ago, browser attacks aren't as hot as they were, so what browser has what doesn't seem to be the huge issue it was not that long ago. Still very important, but not as urgent I'd guess you say.

2. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Canary is almost always identical to Chromium proper in version numbers. That link may be out of date, someone might want to have them update it. Again, check screenshot, that's from today; Exact code snapshots. Maybe I am wrong, but Canary almost always lines up with Chromium proper.

http://suxorz.com/image/AJE

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Version numbers have nothing to do with whether a build is stable or not, they're just numbers. Once again, the proof is right there in the link I provided. Don't believe me, that's all well and good, but I really don't think the developers would explain the channels as they did on that page just to read their own writing. I'm not going to keep going back and forth on it honestly, it's right there for you and anyone else to read. If you disagree with what it says, nothing I say is going to change that.

4. Bodhitree

Interesting thing (potentially)

The further down the dev path, the slower Chrome versions degrade in speed. In benchmarks, Chromium/Canary seems to outperform the stable release ones, and the dev-builds outperform Chromium. But then speed degrades as you get to release versions, falling below 5000 in my benchmarks. While the dev one is in the 5300+ range. Wonder if they use more aggressive switches in compiling the dev versions or something?

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I honestly would have not a single clue, I'm not that technically gifted :D It could be as simple as "not as much there yet" since it's so early in the process in Canary. This would be an area in which I'd just be talking out of my butt if I tried to take guesses or discuss it, lol.

6. Bodhitree

Yeah I was thinking along the lines of 'less stuff' in the dev builds. But as a former developer, we DID use more aggressive switches during compiling on our builds, but generally regressed back to more conservative switches for public builds. Our builds were almost always faster as a result.

Hard to say. I think I will change from Chromium to Dev for the auto update. I get tired of migrating chromium to 5 different PC's every week. LOL!

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yeah, I've been and done that with multiple system setups. Occasionally I'll hop over to the Beta just to get early access to planned goodies. But I'm just not much into the "bleeding edge" scene. I'll let the more brave and knowledgeable (and suckers, lol) sail those waters. One thing I learned from the world of hardware is early adoption isn't always the best thing in the world.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Okay, I found one: http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/features/find-more-apps. The double-clicking rapidly on the back arrow works but that shouldn't be necessary.

9. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's how ABP interacts with Chrome I've found. I don't know whether it's a specific filter (and would have no idea where to even start if it was) or some code in ABP/Chrome. But removing ABP seems to do the trick in getting rid of the issue. Some ABP releases will work fine without ever seeing the issue crop up, but the next release it could be back again...kind of like how Chrome and its bugs are :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.