Choosing A VPN Provider

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by PooseyII, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

2. hierophant

That cost a fair amount, didn't it? And what do you think they'd find in Panama? Probably nothing except some hardened servers. What did France get when they took down the Paris node? Nothing (or so Steve says). Do you know anything different?

Steve, OTOH, is a sitting duck.

3. nix

nix Registered Member

Hey Poosey, New Riders of the Purple Sage takes on Panamanian jurisdiction:

"The judge don't know when Red's in town
    He keeps well hidden underground" :D

And H, Steve is a sitting duck? Where exactly is he sitting? :shifty:
    But thanks for the cite to crypto text. I've seen it, but I'll review again.

4. hierophant

I have no clue. Amsterdam? ;) That's where I'd be if I didn't have to work :rolleyes: Anyway, last I knew, he was living in Dallas.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. hierophant

If the admins who manage XeroBank are as easy to find as you claim, they have my sympathy.

6. box750

box750 Registered Member

I used to have a page where people could comment about their own experience using a VPN, I soon found out that a big chunk of the posters were somehow linked to the VPN they were posting a good review for.

Many VPN owners are the first ones to use a fake name and post a good review about themselves, they have plenty of proxies to do this too.

It makes perfect sense, wouldn't you do it yourself in their situation? That's human nature.

Another thing I noticed is that when things go wrong customers simply jump the gun and go post about it everywhere, when things go right then they don't normally bother to post about it.

I only trust reviews from people who I know are really independent, people with a good well established online identity, having been around for a while and did not come out of nowhere and started to praise company X.

Beware of anonymous posters saying company X can be bad for your health or does miracles, hidden agendas also exist.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Who owns the site? Is it owned by another VPN? I don't believe it is a third party review.

8. hierophant

I'm pretty sure that PooseyII is one of the classic Wilders Topletz trashers.

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Are you suggesting Poosey is a sock puppet of one of the earlier "Topletz trashers?" That's a slippery slope as it can easily be turned around on any and all cheerleaders for Topletz and Xerobank. Not to mention that from past experience, these kinds of suggestions are really frowned upon by Wilders admin.

I am a one-time Xerobank user who got fed up with excuses, products that were constantly "on the way", etc. I realized that Xerobank was merely a tiny outfit that had good start-up cash for slick marketing but couldn't handle simple support issues while talking very, very big. I have now come to think of XB as nothing more than a "Potemkin Village" of VPN providers.

10. hierophant

Just what does "sock puppet" mean for anonymous posters? I've been accused, recently by PooseyII, of being one. Although I post as various identities in various forums, I only use one in any particular forum. Of course, y'all must take that on faith ;)

Anyway, let's just say that PooseyII's posts re Steve and XeroBank are very reminiscent of those by other critics, going back to at least 2008. I'll leave it at that until I have the time for a careful analysis. If I've made an unfounded accusation, PooseyII, please accept my apology.

I totally get that. Perhaps you're assessment is accurate, in many ways. And, as y'all know quite well by now, I still have faith in the project. Time will tell.

11. hierophant

I have a new theory: PooseyII=Steve :eek: It's a devious plot, and you have all been warned!

12. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Do tell. Are there any other names involved?

Attached Files:

13. hierophant

Mr. Slippery ;)

14. Sheldon7

Sheldon7 Registered Member

*falls off chair :blink:

15. caspian

caspian Registered Member

LOL! Sure looks like it.

16. caspian

I am a big fan of Xerobank. But I don't have a need to create new accounts and personas. So no. It cannot be construed as being remotely similar.

17. caspian

How long have you been a registered member under this handle and this handle only?

18. nix

nix Registered Member

Wow. For a bunch of anonymity freaks, you guys sure are curious about one another.;) Pretty soon, we'll be asking each other for i.d. :eek: Not from me, though. Though nyx will fight to the death for yr right to anonymity, she has none of her own, in order that she might call others out on the bs. I was hoping Lana and I could join forces, kind of a girlish dynamic duo, but she's yet to show up.:'(

19. hierophant

That is funny. Yet, even in an anonymous forum, it's dishonest to post as multiple users. IMHO, anyway. And it's entirely an honour system.

20. Sheldon7

Sheldon7 Registered Member

Wait, I must have missed a few things.. Who is alleged to be using multiple accounts? Steve is Poosey? That was just a joke righto_O

21. hierophant

Yes, that was a joke :rolleyes:

22. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Re the PooseyII link

https://xerobank.com/company/team

So it's not a one man operation as some have alluded to :D In fact there's some Gals on there too ;)

Apart from Kyle Williams, i'm not aware of any activity the others have done. Looks like they don't get involved in the techy side of things, and/or forums/support etc. That's if they are still involved in XB etc ?

23. hierophant

Right. Always firewall non-VPN traffic, and check for leaks. As previously discussed, decloak.net is the toughest safe test I know.

Decloaking Report (foo)

Field : Data : Dependency
    External Address : 94.75.217.NNN : Browser
    Internal Host : unknown : Java
    Internal Address : unknown : Java
    DNS Server (Java) : unknown : Java
    DNS Server (HTTP) : unknown : Browser
    DNS Server (FTP) : unknown : Browser
    DNS Server (Word) : unknown : Office
    DNS Server (iTunes) : unknown : iTunes
    DNS Server (Quicktime) : unknown : Quicktime
    External NAT (FTP) : unknown : Browser
    External NAT (Java) : unknown : Java
    External NAT (Flash) : unknown : Flash
    External NAT (Word) : unknown : Office
    External NAT (iTunes) : unknown : iTunes
    External NAT (Quicktime) : unknown : Quicktime

Also, check what DNS servers you're using at grc.com/DNS -- just 94.75.217.NNN for me now.

If using Firefox, set geo.enabled flag in about:config to false.

And use RefControl to spoof with the site's own root URL.

For sure!

24. hierophant

That's a pretty lame comment.

Those are pretty lame, as well. And indeed, they caught Mendez looking rather intense ;)

25. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ PooseyII

You think Scott A. Ames could be mistaken for you :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.