Chkdsk Upon Reboot

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by ace55, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ace55

ace55 Registered Member

Hello,

I have been getting Chkdsk upon reboot lately, being told my disks need to be checked for consistency. This has occured only after installing RVS 2010. When I allow them to run, orphaned files are recovered. Does this indicate an issue with Returnil, or that files from the virtual system are being copied over to the real system?

Thanks

2. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

3. ace55

ace55 Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I glanced it at, and I believe the discussion revolves arous how to unset the dirty bit without running chkdsk. Each time I am prompted to chkdsk, I allow chkdsk to occur and orphaned files are always recovered. I'm not interested in suppressing the repair of my file system, unless this is normal behavior for rvs and allowing a chkdsk moves files from the virtual to real partition.

I'm running windows 7 x64, by the way.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Chkdsk on every boot fixing errors is not a good sign. It think it is more likely an issue with the hd

5. CustomHVAC

CustomHVAC Registered Member

"The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot" key word "NEXT" reboot (so it can be FIXED in the next step).

I AGREE it could be the HD, one way to find out would be to run those EASY steps as I have done before to confirm or eliminate the HD being the fault. or am I missing something? I could be wrong!

Was just one way to find out (IMHO)
    CustomHVAC

6. ace55

ace55 Registered Member

It does not check on every boot, but the majority of them. So, it does chkdsk on every boot, and it does not chkdsk on every boot after a virtualization session with Returnil either. Considering that this drive is an SSD, I doubt that its a failure of the hardware. I should have mentioned all of this earlier, my apologies.

I still don't understand how manually toggling the dirty bit would help; chkdsk recovers different orphaned files everytime it runs, so its not like its failing to fix the same issue each time. Chkdsk appears to be working properly, and considering that my drive is an SSD and that it never ran chkdsk before installing Returnil, it seems to me the culprit is clear. Thanks again for the suggestion though, I do appreciate it.

I can boot and run my system just fine, I'm just curious what is going on and if this indicates a bug in Returnil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.