chkdsk problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by SimonW, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Hi there,
    (Please note I've also posted a similar message in the LooknStop forum...just trying to get the most help for this problem )

Recently updated to XP sp2 and latest NOD32 (and changed LooknStop run-as-a-service to the new sp2 version).

However, came back to the machine a few days ago and it wouldn't respond which required a power-reset to resolve.

Because of this I decided to run chkdsk from the command line. This showed errors during stage 2 checking which of course then suggests running chkdsk /f.

This just isn't working anymore though. The machine reboots and goes straight to the login screen and bypasses the scheduled disk check completely.

(I've read about similar problems with the latest ZoneAlarm)

Can anyone with NOD32 running verify chkdsk /f functionality for me please !!

(Final bad news for me - I read in another forum that to force chkdsk /f, run msconfig and then choose diagnostic startup, which only loads basic services and then do the chkdsk /f. This worked correctly but when I changed msconfig back to 'normal startup' all my services - 122 !! - were left as 'disabled' - so I'm left guessing which ones should be set to auto, manual or disabled )

Thanks
    Simon

Last edited: Sep 17, 2004
  2. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I have a similar problem with my Firewall, Tiny Firewall. What my problem was that Tiny would not let me set the yes in the registry to run it. I would try disabling the firewall and then try to set the chkdsk /f. One thing I did notice was that even after I said yes it did not let me set it. I got an error message instead of saying it was scheduled.

3. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

When I get chance I'll disable the Look'n'Stop service and try again.

I wish I could find out what all the other services should be set to (defaults) though :)

SimonW

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Thanks - a useful site, although unless I'm mistaken the list of default states for all services (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) is only for XP sp1a and not yet sp2 - but a good starting point nevertheless!

Simon

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Looking good

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.