Checking compatibility with PROMISE (Raid) & Maxtor Sata disks.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sabot, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabot

sabot Registered Member

Hi

I currently have the following system:
    - AWARD BIOS version F6
    - WinXP Prof + Svc pack 2 with latest updates.
    - Gigabyte 8-KNXP (Rev1) motherboard
    - 1GB RAM
    - Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 (Sata1) PCI-based RAID controller
    - 4 x Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9 120GB SATA1 (8MB cache) harddisk (model # 6Y120M0).
    - 1 x LG DVDRAM GSA4040B (a DVD writer) - configured as drive-D
    - 1 x LG DVD-ROM8162B (reader) -configured as drive-E

The 4 x Maxtor harddisk are configured by the Promise FastTrak RAID controller into 2 RAID1 mirrrored arrays - ie drive C & drive F.

Q1) Will Acronis TrueImage 9 work properly on the above system & correctly recognise all my RAID drives C & F, and also the DVD drives - based on the hardware models I have?

I also intend to add an external harddisk, namely, Maxtor OneTouch III Firewire 400/USB2.0 300GB or Maxtor OneTouch II FireWire/USB2.0 300GB.

Q2) Will Acronis TrueImage9 work with my existing hardware system & also the external Maxtor harddisk models as identified above? I would like to backup image to the external drives.

Q3) Has TrueImage9 specifically been tested with the Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 (Raid) controller, the Maxtor DiamondPlus9 120MB SATA1 harddisk, the Maxtor OneTouch II & III external harddisk I identified above?

Thanks
    Sabot

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Sabot,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We have not received any complaints about the hardware mentioned above and does not expect any problems with it.

As for RAID controllers, when Acronis True Image is running under Windows, then it works with all the hard disk drivers detected by the operating system. If Acronis True Image is running in rescue mode (e.g. to restore the system partition), then the following RAID controllers are supported:

- P-ATA (IDE) RAID controllers (Promise, Highpoint)
    - All levels (RAID 0,1,2,3,4,5) of most of SCSI RAID controllers (Adaptec, Dell, LSI and others)
    - SATA RAID controllers (Highpoint, Intel, Promise, Silicon Image)

Some RAID controllers may be supported as well (the ones that have not been tested yet) and the others will be supported with the future updates.

Please download Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ in order to make sure that the product works on your computer.

You can find the information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

Please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of the product.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. sabot

sabot Registered Member

Hi All

Let's say I physically connect the external Maxtor OneTouch harddisk to PC#1 via USB2.0 port and install the Acronis TrueImage sw on PC#1 to manage it. Also assume that PC#1 is connect to an ethernet LAN which also has 2 other PCs connected to the same LAN. All PCs run WinXP service Pack2.

Which TrueImage product should I use if I want to backup all 3 PCs on the LAN whilst keeping the external harddisk connected to PC#1?

Thx
    Sabot

4. noonie

noonie Registered Member

The potential problems you may encounter will not be with the windows operation of Ti, but when it comes time to restore the images via the required linux or boot cd enviroment.

The only way to get conclusive answers to your questions is to try the trial version, make a boot cd and try actual images and restores with your specific hardware. It's tedious but the only way.

If you want to image and restore from each pc on your network to anywhere on your network, the standalone version of Ti will suffice. Acronis claims they will give you multiple license discounts.

Acronis also has a network version so you can manage images and restores from a remote computer, although at that pricepoint a simple nas device may be considered.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sabot,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We recommend you to use Acronis True Image 9.0 or Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation for your purposes.

Please note that the major difference between Acronis True Image 9.0 and Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation is that the latter provide you with the remote backup feature (have a capability of performing a backup process remotely).

Please take a look at the version comparison page for more details.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of the product you are interested in to see how the software works on your particular software\hardware configuration.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use the above mentioned products in the respective User's Guides available in the Homecomputing Documentation and Enterprise Documentation sections of our web site.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Art2006

Art2006 Registered Member

I have a Promise Raid (zero) FastTrak 378 controller connected to two SATA drives. I too am using TI9.0 (lastest build) and the bootable CD -- fails.

In reading these threads, it appears very little an end-user can do to make it work. (It appears that TI9.0 CD did not copy or load the Promise Raid drivers.)

If I am wrong, please advise.

Thanks,
    -Art

7. LouNelson

LouNelson Registered Member

I am running the ReadNas NV, Running a variant of Raid 5. I have used TI wil maxtor onetouch and had intended on using TI to do 8 PCs (Friends and family) all to my NAS. HOWEVER, The restores do not work for TI from the NAS. I have tried every suggestion. Now I am trying to move the image off the NAS and go with a simple MAPPED drive on another PC. If that does not work, back to a new software selection!

I might also add that one of the PCs I am running is running RAID 0.... Really do not wanna blow away the machine to test if it can be restored....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.