Check Mark is credible?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fatpizzaman, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatpizzaman

fatpizzaman Registered Member

Checkmark

For a product to be certified to Trojan Checkmark, Level One, the product must be able to detect all trojans in the West Coast Labs trojan test suite. The product should not cause any false alarms (based on testing against the West Coast Labs false alarm test suite).

The basic Level One Checkmark is regarded as the entry level for certification

About the Checkmark system
    Standard & Testing
    Checkmarked Products
    Product Test History
    Technical Briefing Documents
    Press Releases

I checked that F-Secure latest is not certified for Trojan Checkmark! Why is this? When Kaspersky AV PERs Pro 4.0XX is? Isn't F-Secure one of the strongest virus scanners?

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed that ZoneLabs ZoneAlarm and the DCS Trojan Defense Suite have not been tested either. Makes me suspect that this is just more advertising hype, put up as a "legitimate" test for products they are paid to promote. If that's true, then it calls into question their entire testing criteria. When the rest of our crew come online later, I'm sure they'll have a thing or two to say about it. ;)

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, I think the clue lies in this line;

". The product should not cause any false alarms (based on testing against the West Coast Labs false alarm test suite)"

Even without knowning what this arbitrary "West Coast Labs false alarm test suite" really is, it's by itself already proof of the fact that this antitrojan test is, at the the very least, flawed and inept.

An antitrojan or antivirus shouldn't IMHO err on the cautious side; it makes for inferior detection.

Cases in point are Dr.Web and TDS-3; they do on occasion present you with a false positive, but detection (heuristic and otherwise) is second to none.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Checkmark is a paid "service" - software vendors can put up their product paying bucks. I for one would forget all about it eg neglect it totally.

regards.

paul

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

It is a paid service. But it is a good way to improve product detection rate.

I do follow it and I do respect it!

Technodrome

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Well, each to its own, TD ;)

regards.

paul

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Sure thing Paul! :)

Technodrome

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I do not trust those "paid" tests either. But I think we had already this discussion. ;) Enough said.

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.