Check archive OK; "Archive is corrupted" upon attempt to restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scottsek, Mar 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottsek

scottsek Registered Member

I have been attempting to restore my HD using TI. When I check the archive it is OK, but when I try to restore I get an "Archive is corrupted" message.

Thanks for any help.
    Scott

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Scott,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe the issue in more details: what is the exact name of the product that you use and what exactly did you try to perform?

Could you please let us know the build number of the product, which you can find in the Help -> About dialog (it should be a 3 or 4 digit number)?

First of all, please download and install the latest build of the product which is available at the Product Updates section at our web site.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please also clarify whether you have tried to restore the image from under Windows or while booting from Acronis True Image Booable Rescue Media.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. scottsek

Sorry for the lack of details:

I'm using TI Home Version 9 build 2337 which is the latest build as far as I know.

I'm using the bootable rescue media (on floppy disks) to try to restore the primary partition of my computer. I have checked the archive which is a multi-volume - 6 to be exact -- which is saved on an external hard drive which I have connected to my computer using Firewire via a PCMCIA card (I tried to connect via USB but TI didn't see the drive).

What happens is that it runs for awhile, then a dialog box shows up with the message "Archive is corrupted." That's as far as I get. Could this be caused by problems with the destination drive?

Thanks for the quick initial response. Let me know if you need any other information.

Scott

4. Pelicans

Pelicans Registered Member

Did you check to see if there was a firmware update for your USB/firewire combo external case?

I am experiencing similar issues and found an update here for a common external drive, as an example.

http://www.byteccusa.com/driver.htm

I also reformatted the drive, after the firmware install. The firmware change comes without instruction.

-Greg

5. scottsek

Greg,

Thanks for the suggestion. There was no update for my drive.

Scott

6. Pelicans

Pelicans Registered Member

Even though the backup may read ERROR you still may be able to brouse the archive as you can with Norton Ghost and recover files.

I notice that under Computer Management/Device Manager there is a new Device installed, Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer...... I have had situations like this where I was still able to browse the backup file and restore files even though I couldn't retreve the entire image.

Its worth a try

-Greg

7. Rubiaco

Rubiaco Registered Member

I had the same problem after installing v2337. I reinstalled an earlier version of TI and used the boot disk created from that version. The volume that previously had been declaired corrupt was installed. Hope this helps.
    R.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Scott,

Could you please inform us about the results of the following tests?

- Have you ever been able to successfully check this particular image archive?

- If you are able to boot into Windows then please check this image archive when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows;

- Copy this image to the internal hard drive (if possible) and perform a verification once more. Let us know the result;

- Create a new image saving it to your external USB hard drive and check it both when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0;

- Create a new image saving it to the internal hard drive and check it both when the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows and when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0;

- Perform a memory test using the memtest86+ utility.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. scottsek

The answer to the first question is in the subject line of the thread: yes it checked out using the bootable media (in my case, floppies, not a CD).

I am testing it now on my other computer via the Windows version of the program, but am assuming that it will check out there too.

I cannot create a new image of the computer I want to restore because it is not functioning, hence my need to restore it.

I will do the memtest as soon as I can on said computer to see if there is a memory issue.

Regards,
    Scott

10. Rubiaco

Rubiaco Registered Member

A followup on my previous post for your restore problem. I have used TI since V6 with minimal problems. One caveat is using multiple CDs to restore an image. There are too many variables. The main one is the media and the readers ability to transfer data. The the most successful is a backup to a 2nd HD. I installed V9 of TI when it was available and created an image that was verified. I had occasion to restore the image, and like you, it ran a bit then said the image was corrupted. I booted with the CD created from the V9 and had the same result. I had to reinstall WinXP then install an earlier version of TI (V8 ). I then was able to go to my D drive and restore the image created from V9. You might try downloading a fresh copy of TI for reinstall. Good luck.
    R.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.