changing MFT size

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by WSFuser, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

recent versions of Diskeeper have a feature to analyze and resize the MFT. is there any standalone utility to do this?

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I dont know but I think there is a value in the registry that can control the initial size, best used on a fresh formatted drive.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I set the MFT to 4 with the reg setting below and it blue screened but still started on reboot.Have it set at 2 now and no probs.

But go by the old motto - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I only try out things as my ghost images can get my system back to the way I like it.

Quote:

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/sgp-tweaks.ars

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ FileSystem]

Under this key there is a setting called NtfsMftZoneReservation, the default setting of which is 1. The range of this value is from 1 to 4. The default setting reserves one-eighth of the volume for the MFT. A setting of 2 reserves one-quarter of the volume for the MFT. A setting of 3 for NtfsMftZoneReservation reserves three-eighths of the volume for the MFT and setting it to 4 reserves half of the volume for the MFT. Most users will never exceed one-quarter of the volume. I recommend a setting of 2 for most users. This allows for a "moderate number of files" commensurate with the number of small files included in most computer games and applications. Reboot after applying this tweak.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

All it does is creates lots of small files and deletes them after, im sure ive seen something suitable before, will have a dig around when I have time.

Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.