Changing from Windows XP to Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Nov 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Plenty of schools, colleges & hospitals are still running XP. I think that if you surf relatively safely & use a decent AV, a good on-demand scanner (like MBAM) & some basic browser hardening you should be fine. I'd recommend something like SpywareBlaster as well for XP. I use it on Seven & Vista anyway.

2. guest

guest Guest

XP byw hir

I use the indefatigable and impenetrable Sandboxie, AVG 2014 and PrivateFirewall as my first line of defence, with SpywareBlaster, MBAM, Emsisoft Emergencey Kit, SUPERantiSpyware and Tdsskiller in reserve, plus a few more bits and bobs.

Who needs Windows updates, which are almost all security updates on top of that lot ? Like backing up an AK47 with a slingshot.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

@guest.

Have you had an account here before under a different name by any chance.?

4. Daveski17

I think you should be fine. ;)

Definitely. Besides, I have a feeling MS don't make updates particularly agreable for those not running their latest OS's. I have no problems with Win 7 but some Vista 'Patch Tuesdays' have been a tad stressful. :(

5. guest

guest Guest

This is a personal question and considerably OFF Topic. It should have been the subject of a PM, not included in a serious thread. I would have expected your comments on the thread topic rather than making personal accusations..

I am puzzled why you should even ask such a question. I have never been anywhere near Wilders until early this year.

Apart from a couple of other Computer Forums where I am an infrequent poster and a few animal Forums, my private interests and activities take most of my time.

I am only posting now because of the imminent death of XP in April 2014, to get an informative scenario from other users on the subject.

Satisfied ?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

A simple NO to his question would have been OK too :) But the accusation part I don't understand at all o_O

Ontopic, I use XP too and I will most likely buy a new computer early next year as this one is beyond old.

7. biased

biased Registered Member

Move home, good like example.

say to mover, move all chairs and beds (software). So does mover look at all chairs and moved them (install same software). He do job right.

Say to mover, why not all my chairs in same place? mover say, you have many chair, and to put them all in same place, how? I dont know your chairs? (he did put software in, but you wanted same, settings and stuff). Mover not knowing what to do.

Say to mover, move all things here also is long list of chairs. List says what chairs each look like also and to turn them to facing a direction, each different. good mover then say, I can do all this. (tech say, oh i must find profiles and configuritions so it is the same, and this list say all that i must find . i can do but also can be some time to find it all)

Also you see same problem now, even on xp and not moving to win7. If some reason to re install xp, format too, how you get same? No image? Again you will be finding all settings to need and copy to backuip. Then put xp on and put customs setting in the places again.

Problems not lie with any thing but high customizes we all do. Some have to go on extremely sides and make ways to store things in that case of putting xp on again or then making new win7 (or the win8 ) so then putting them settings back in righte place easy. Taking some more undestanding of computer thouh, some many won't. Then they pay tech, but tech knot nowing all and person lose stuff and not happiest day.

Payoff then to the knowing of computer.

8. guest

guest Guest

I understand what is being said about data transfer, but do not understand the problem.

If program data is held on a disc which produces a specific display on a certain computer screen, then if that data is transferred to another disc on another computer and is compatible, the same specific display and customisation will occur.

We all do this daily with CD`s, no matter what model or age the computer is or what OS exists on it, so long as data compatibility is consistent.

All major programs are loaded using a CD and most programs are compatible with a wide range of computer models and OS systems. Surely I am not being told that for instance that basic Google Chrome is different for XP, Win 7 and Win 8 ? Of course it is not, it is the same data.

Then a customised Google Chrome disc or data transfer from one machine, when loaded on another machine will reproduce the same customised characteristics in exact detail as a basic disc does.

So what is the problem with the transfer of already unified OS data from the Memory, Registry and Hard Drive of one computer OS to that of another, in maintaining the exact consistency, settings and program layout etc. of the original set ?

As far as I am aware, the majority of my XP installed programs are already compatible with Win 7 AND Win 8. Almost all my programs are uni-compatible with XP, Win 7 and Win 8.

So what is the problem with identical program output reproduction from XP to Win 7 ? I do not see one.

Having said all this, I am more than willing to learn from the experts providing it is explained in sufficient logical technical detail.

PS - The previous posters "Chairs" example is not relevant. Chairs are movable objects, the output from a program is not, it is rigidly constrained by the program. The output needs no adjustment, it is defined by the program and the whole complex moves without disturbance or variance to reproduce wherever it is run.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
  9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

10. Daveski17

Personally, I think that if you do finally decide to upgrade to Win 7 from XP, a clean install would be the best option. It would be easier to transfer all of your personal files to & from a portable device. I recently had my Win 7 machine totally wiped back to a clean Win 7 install. The upshot is that I have no bundled rubbish now & I just saved all of my files & personal program installers on a portable hard drive. I even found an older version of the Google Earth installer (which I prefer) to the newest versions. It works fine. It didn't take me that long to get everything customised just as I like it.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Why not get a version of Win7 w/XP Mode? I have no idea exactly how much will make the transition, but it's certainly worth the try. Or run dual boot if you have the resources.

That's what I did. I'm hoping that my emulators will still work mainly. I got a Dell Windows 7 Pro 32-bit reinstallation CD w/XP mode.

XP mode is available on Pro, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  12. biased

biased Registered Member

To being precise, a software can be installed into an number of places.

Normal the software files to run the software get in the "program files" folder. Good enough, easy to see.

In olden days, if program needs .ini file or other way to have "customs" settings, it lives right with program. Copy wholly the program folder, and copy all things you need. You current problem solved, in whole. You list programs wanting to copy to new os, and copy them.

Next in there is other place for program setting, the registry. If you know registry location, it is not the problem to 'export' them values and to 'merge' back into registry of new os (more on this later).

Understanding them, that is easy. Now you also understand user and profiles? Option is existing then to have user A and user B. Program now can live on "program files" but each files needed to have user A settings live in user A place (my document and other such "my" places). Now when copy the program also must copy each user settings, so must know this is existing or not copying what needed.

Add onto this registry has "all" place (called HKLM) and also "user" place (called HKCU). Now also you should know, is program needed value in HKLM or HKCU? You must check on them both.

Also know that xp and on have "app data" places, where program put settings too. Not forget to check there for needed files to have program run in customized way you want or have data stored in these places that you need. Much liken to OE (outlook expres) it stores mesages in place but you must find and save.

Add then more, windows vista and 7 use different than 'my docs'. Much more places to put program data if it not lives in "program files". Now copy from xp location to winV or win7 location, not always be the same. Maye on win7 .ini file needing to be in different place to work, maybe same. But must you know? Who is to know? Can mover (tech to do work for you) know all these things?

We go on and further on (always haha ;) ). win7 and winV also do x64bit. Registry now have 2 places (64 and not 64) and also programs have "program files" for 64bit and "program files (x86)" for 32bit. even more then needed to be known that in order to "save" what you use, and make work on win7, needing to know what/where like that.

True, program working on win7 is most cases can be good, not that program not work. And also true that copying to win7 it just work. Not always true that all things work, on case basis by case to case.

Movers and chairs good example, sorry. Ask mover to move objects (this data, this registry, this file, this save game, this window setting) with no map to mover of what you want, like him saying "i move it" but him not know what you all wanted. Even tech, if that geek squad like, just sorry, cannot know you wanted "all of that".

Find good tech, and understanding to get all you have, you need to put in list, like
    imgburn
    chrome (bookmarks and estensions)
    ie (favorites and addons)
    adobe pdf writer (with font)

and also even more, like
    taskbar not to glomming
    my network places on desktop
    right click (the context) to open in the notepad

good tech understand then, and maybe he not know, but good tech understand and can find answer and solution. Even good tech (the mover) only move chairs (install same program) if you have no more better way of explaining.

For me, I am not mattering. Chair or not, no care. For me, to fix computer and not destorying all user data or forget to save thing, takes a lot of the time. so not as fun. Always can miss things. If user is sitting and says "also I want to keep" then much better, but maybe not always easy. Also, some things (os settings the main thing) cannot be done if not you remember. Time is requiring to set those on win7 then, only way. Even user forget and later say "how I make it do this in win7?" I say, can't, or say "do this". user always forget or not know (had a tool do for them first time) like that sort of stuff.

good luck that you find someone who can know the ways to help. thers always that much more to this type of thingt. I use codeing to do it in past, now not care, just use and do other things than play iwth computer.

bye.

13. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

You don't have to throw everything away, but the house is a different shape, so you will need to arrange everything accordingly. Yourself; the removal company, no matter how experienced cannot do this for you. I doubt it would be all that bad, though.

14. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

is he talking about, for instance, he has his browser highly customized, and wishes he could copy the settings over rather than re-customize it?

15. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I have to comment here. XP is truly over when third party application support for it is over. I give it two years from April 2014. I am a tech and a well paid tech at that. Not being willing to do a certain amount of customization work on your own computer yourself costs a person big time. Someone previously said expecting an upgrade to go flawlessly from XP (2001) to Windows 7 (2009) is a fruitless endeavor due to the massive chasm of the 8 year time span. The two operating systems involved are just that dissimilar. They are two entirely different universes. You do not need to upgrade this second. The need will probably arise, however, within an average I would say of two years. My suggestion to you is to play around with Windows 7 in a virtual machine and try to learn some basic customization techniques on your own so when the need finally gets there for you that you are capable of tailoring the upgrade after your technician finishes. I say this because it is my belief that you have set a bar extremely high. The bar is so high in fact that almost any tech you are going to be working with is not going to be able to meet your expectations, thus, causing you frustration. I usually don't discuss things like this, but I have seen this scenario play out with people too many times. I hope you can perceive this as down to earth advice and profit from it.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  16. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Brian K..
    I hadn't realised that Brian, many thanks.
    I use XP mode within Win 7 now so the deletion of restore points in a dual boot doesn't affect me anymore as I don't use it.

17. guest

guest Guest

@ Rolling Thunder

Don`t get me wrong, I appreciate every single word you have said, it is perfect logic and good advice for the technically progressive minded.

There is just one aspect, your estimate that XP will be doomed after only two years from the 2014 cut-off is extremely pessimistic and almost certainly wrong.

I am sure you know that Windows 95, 98 and ME are still being extensively used in the world today and their death certificates were signed many years ago.

XP has been and still is, the most highly popular and successful version of Windows ever produced and its "after life" will certainly far exceed its predecessors.

I would predict without a doubt, that XP will still be extensively used in well over 12 years from now with no problems by a significant sector of the PC world fraternity.

Me ? No sweat, I will still be using XP for years to come and do not anticipate any problems whatsoever for the kind of leisurely PC activity I engage in.

18. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Turn off the transparent glass and fancy visuals and there's not a lot of difference cosmetically.Only downside is that you won't be able to run some of your progs that won't run on 7.

19. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I would generally concur that XP will be used by much of the world for many many years to come. I am still a hold out on XP. I have never found cause to change OS platform. In my individual case I am disappearing from the MS world and going to linux. Much of that decision is due to an innate distrust of Microsoft (especially after Snowden revelations). More on point. The reason I stated two years is that is the time frame that you are going to notice some type of problem with third party software be it an inability to update a given application or simply finding a piece of software to fit a given situation. I tend to like to anticipate problems and maybe it is just because I am soured with Microsoft, but within the framework I have just discussed, two years seems like a pretty reasonable figure. My suggestion is everything that you want is doable. Take your time. Study Windows 7 a bit (please don't consider [noparse]:cool:[/noparse]. When you get to the point that you figure you can ensure a smooth transition between the two platforms go for it.

20. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

it shouldn't be that large a hassle to move from xp to 7, in exchange for a little work you gain the yields of having an operating system that will have exploits/vulnerabilities patched so you can use your machine in a more secure manner, and enjoy many small improvements that 7 brings over xp.

when i switched, there wasn't a single program from xp (that meant anything to me) that i had to reconfigure, i was able to copy my configurations from xp over to 7, and they worked just as they had in xp. no reason you couldnt do the same

21. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Like several others here, I only made the change from XP to 7 when my old computer gave up the ghost and the new system came with 7 (x64) installed. The only real "learning curve" problem I had was with navigation, and Classic Shell helped a lot with that. Plus I lost the use of a couple of my antique 16-bit apps that I'd previously used a lot, particularly Borland's dBase.

One other thing I miss from XP is that MS hasn't (yet) come up with an updated 7-compatible version of TweakUI, which was one of the handiest tools they ever introduced, for settings which were otherwise a pita to even locate, let alone adjust.

22. redgrum

redgrum Registered Member

It seems odd that you'd say that, when clearly you care about security, when there are very real security improvements available by upgrading to Windows 7 even when XP is being supported. Once that ceases your system will inevitably become less secure as time passes.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Security through obscurity: less hackers will care as time passes LOL, especially going through the trouble to bypass all his layers.

24. Daveski17

Seriously though, in the real world, I think that even XP with a lot of defence layers (especially including Sandboxie) could be just as secure as a much newer Windows OS that has only basic protection. The vast majority of surfers online just have an AV. And that was probably bundled with their ISP package.

25. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

What is upsetting to me is the number of old programs I have that I no longer can find the original discs to. Plus I have for a long time now downloaded programs from GiveAwayOfTheDay, Glary Utilities and Bits du Jour so reinstalling for me is not always going to be possible. I have my programs all backed up so I could always restore them but to my understanding this will not work only reinstalling will work. I intend on purchasing Microsoft Windows 7 Professional but it looks to me like I am going to have no choice but to purchase another hard drive and dual boot. Am I correct in my thinking? As always I will appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.