Changing Email

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by max2, Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

What is the best way for me to change my email address but still receive some of my email from my old email address ? I want to change my email address to something that is easier to remember. Before I do change it though does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to create a new email address so it doesn't get spam ?

2. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

What some people do is setup a unique email address (alias) for each case or most cases where they have to give out an email address. Having your own domain name is not absolutely necessary for this approach but it is usually the context. This helps to keep things compartmentalized, helps in terms of identifying cases of email address leaks (assuming the email addresses are obscure enough to not be easily guessed), makes it easier to respond to compromised email addresses (you can disable and change one without affecting others), makes it easier to selectively cutoff email from specific parties, etc. This is a more complicated and tedious approach than most people want to deal with, and of course requires the ability to setup many different email addresses/aliases somewhere.

That type of approach can be made more coarse than one email per recipient. For example, one can greatly reduce the number of email addresses they have by creating categories (address #1 for family/friends, address #2 for banking, address #3 for shopping, address #4 for forums, etc). By careful selection of the categories one can achieve some degree of the benefits of the more thorough approach described above.

Email to an address can be aliased or forwarded to another address in which ever way best suits your needs (assuming the email provider surfaces this capability for you). You could have 100 email aliases all mapped to just one email account if you wanted to. How that is done depends on your provider's configuration and interface. So there are many options but which you choose will depend on what your provider supports, how sophisticated you are or want to become, and what you consider is an appropriate balance between effort and potential reward. The one thing to keep in mind is the potential to select an email address that someone else has had before (and which may already be in the hands of spammers) or that someone else will have in the future (possibly receiving email that was meant for you, like that from a sender who you forgot to give your new email address to). I think obscure email addresses can be helpful from this point of view. As too would be keeping "has been replaced by a new one and thus should no longer receive legitimate email" addresses active for awhile (two years lets say). You can alias/forward email to such older email addresses to one of your newer ones in which ever way your provider supports.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    I had the same problem in the past, I had my IP email address which had become a real spam house. I created an email account with Google gmail, and within its configuration I could set it up to import all emails from my previous account. Gmail has arguably the best spam filters available and antivirus scan incorporated. I'm very happy with it, if you don't trust Google I'm sure there are several alternatives available (e.g. hotmail)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.