Changed Win.ini file and update

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by kevvyb, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevvyb

kevvyb Registered Member

Hi,

I'm a new user of TDS and am just starting to find my way around it.

It has twice alerted to a change in the C:\Windows\win.ini file. Is this anything to worry about or does it just alert me to changes I may have made in my system that I should consider as problems if I cannot relate them to any known changes?

Second question is: During installation there was a pop up that said registered/licensed users could upgrade to (I think it was) v4. It also said that this would be available sometime in 2002! :)

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello Kevvyb, welcome here!

Do you have a registered version or evaluation?
    In the registered one you can install the exec protection which would block malicious files from executing as an extra protection if this would be at hand.

The popup i've not seen, maybe there was meant that the license for TDS-3 was also good for a free upgrade to version 4, not sure, have not seen it, will ask DCS about it.
    That version is being build on again with new parts and finds, which has caused a delay unfortunately, but the version we get is build all from scratch, several parts have been betatested, some very new technologies developed and integrated successfully so we are patiently waiting for next things to come.

In the mean time we know our systems very well protected with really top notch software.

Changed ini most of time has to do with a new installed software of system changes, windows configurations, that kind of things. Was there any of those?
    If you update the database and do a full scan with every option checked and on highest sensitivity, is there any alarm anywhere? If there is something "suspicious" or "possible" don't hesitate to send it to the lab (zipped if possible) submit@diamondcs.com.au is the quickest address for that.

In the TDS > System Analysis > Autostart Explorer you can scroll through the autostart and ini files and see if there is anything which seems not ok.

Do keep an eye on the possible changes.
    If you look in the threads on top of this TDS forum, there is a nice instruction how to edit the CRC32.TXT to have integrity checks on more files you want to put under control. I edited a few, amongst which the radius database for instance.

Please keep us informed if there happens more to help you further.

3. kevvyb

kevvyb Registered Member

Hi Jookse,

I have a registered version and will check to make sure that exec protection is loaded.

I'll look forward to the response from DCS. on the pop up re upgrade.

Only other alarms I have had are for files I have mistakenly saved with two file extensions.

Will check that I am doing the scan on highest sensitivity.

Thanks for the other info and the very warm welcome :)

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome Kevvyb!
    We love the software so much and this you see radiating from us for sure :)
    You know as a registered member you have access also to the private areas of the DCS registered operators only forum? See the URL in my signature.

For the exec protection install you follow this path in the TDS GUI
    TDS > Execution protection > install
    You need to do this only one time.
    If you ever for some reason uninstall TDS make sure you first uninstall that e.p. first before uninstalling TDS.

Dual extensions you get so easy, like a file file.1.2.3.exe, or others, but it's good to be alerted. Nice to know your system is so clean!
    Don't forget to update the radius daily certainly before such an intense scan!

5. kevvyb

kevvyb Registered Member

Thanks for the tip about uninstallation Jookse.

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

You're welcome! I'm sure you will enjoy TDS a lot!
    Nice rainbow avatar you have now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.