Change in Eset leadership???

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Fubie, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Anton - Could you define "new leadership at Eset" ? I presume that you're still holding the reins...

Jack

2. not32 user

not32 user Guest

If something is wrong with Eset I'm switching to KAV in the near future unless version 2.13 will be a serious improvement.

3. alglove

alglove Registered Member

to quote Anton...

4. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Perhaps it's a different context that I'm reading - "new leadership" at a corporate level means different things to different people. When Carly F. went to HP, that was "new leadership" to me. The Rick Moy change would be "we have a new sales & marketing director..."

Like I said - different context. Ain't language fun?

Jack

5. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Its about what the market will bear..... NOD in my opinion is a better product, but its still building its reputation.... reputation tends to carry more "clout" than real performance. Some companies are now inferior, but still have power due to their past reputation of being the best "back, once upon a time".
    I'll be a good boy and not name names.... "this time!"

I don't think NOD will raise too much in price because it would kill too many of the first time users who don't know which to try. Until its obvious to everyone that NOD is the best... they will need to keep a good entry level price.

Lets face it.... price is a big deal "until" you get a nasty virus you can't shake?... then you would gladly pay 100 bucks to get rid of it?... when you figure what you loose in information and hours fighting with your system to clean a nasty bugger.... money becomes of little importance?
    But when you get a nasty one.. and NOD prances in and takes it out for you when the other couldn't.... you won't mind paying more.

Many see AV as merely an insurance program... for the "what ifs". And they don't want to pay anymore than they have to.... but once you get nailed.... you'll pay for quality the next time!... and you tend to get what you pay for... unless its still an unknown like NOD, and is still upcoming in its fame.
    NOD is still a bargain, because its still unknown.... and hes right.. the tests of all the planted virues can be so inaccurate and they don't take into account compatibility and speed, or which NOD rates an A!

I tend to go for the best.. and the price is what it is.. because I don't like viruses more than I don't like paying the price!

The price will be what the market will bear.... thats a fact of life....if you don't like the price.... use another at your own risk.

And if the new sales CEO reads this... the best way for NOD to get richer.... for now, is to make itself known! Price won't be much of an issue once the fame is spread.

Even now we don't buy AV because we feel warm and fuzzy toward the companies and just want to make them rich.... .its because its now a necessity of life if you will be on the internet...... period....

To buy or not to buyo_O?... Its about the lesser of two evils..... everyone has to figure that out for themselves...
    The jungle out there is only getting meaner and meaner..... we as customers have no choice but to buy what we think is the best....

Now its NOD's job to prove to the world.. they are the best?

6. liquidmetal

liquidmetal Registered Member

As an IT consultant who often assists my small business customers in deciding what software/technology to purchase, I'd like to point out that one of the biggest reasons I recently switched one of my customers from NAV to NOD32 was NOD32's very low/reasonable prices, combined with the fact that when I spoke with an Eset sales rep they were extremely accomodating in negotiating a volume license deal that was both fair and flexible enough for the needs of the business.

Sure, the single-license retail cost might not be all that cheap ($39), but Eset's volume licensing is among the most affordable, convenient, and reasonable I've seen.

I'm looking forward to trying to switch more customers over to NOD32 as their NAV licenses start to expire. I hope the volume license prices aren't going to be increased, because, NOD32 may be one of the best AV programs out there, but, especially given its lack of brand recognition, being better than NAV/etc doesn't get its foot in the door at most companies. On the other hand, the winning factors for NOD32 in convincing companies to switch to it, in my view, are:

1. Very competitively-priced volume licenses and license renewals.
    2. Very flexible volume license structure.
    3. Minimally-expensive transition costs: Remote Install (when it works, that is -- I've had some issues with it), plus NOD32 (not using Remote Install) still only takes a minute or two to install + 1 reboot -- NAV can take forever...
    4. Remote Administration --makes administration much easier, and easier administration = less $$$ spent on your IT person to maintain things.
    5. Small footprint -- one of the businesses I switched to NOD32 has a lot of very old Pentium 3 machines. Switching from NAV 2004 to NOD32 made for a nice performance boost on these very-slow machines.

You'll notice that nowhere on that list is "NOD32's antivirus technology is better than NAV." That's because I've yet to see a small business that considers that argument a persuasive reason to switch to NOD32. Of course if they're not already using any AV program, that may be a point of persuasion, but otherwise, the above list seems to be more convincing.

Bottom line for businesses: "NOD32 will save you money by A) reducing your year-to-year licensing costs (through cheaper per-seat licenses and more flexibility in the licensing deal), and B) reducing your IT consulting costs through easier administration"

One last thing: I'm aware that Symantec and other companies have corporate versions of their software, and that they include centralized administration software. I've never tried these, but I would like to note the following regarding small businesses:

1. Symantec (and several other AV companies, if I remember correctly) tend to market their "small business packs" (3, 5, or 10-packs) to small businesses. These packs (aside from being completely inflexible from a licensing POV) are essentially the same as the home version. They provide no central administration software, nor are they compatible with such. There is no way to centrally-manage computers using this product scheme. Symantec also will not let you "upgrade" from the small-business editions to the corporate versions.
    2. Typically the corporate versions (which have a higher minimum-license requirement) are more expensive if you want centralized management. NOD32 is around $60 for the management software, and it's compatible with any version of NOD32 you've got.

Why other AV companies presume that I wouldn't want to have enterprise-level administration functionality for an office of 9 or 10 computers is beyond me. Of course I want that!

Anyway, my main reason for posting is simply to say that I think a price increase (at least for volume licensing, no comment on single-license home versions) would be a mistake at the current time. Eset does not have any brand presence, no one's really heard of them. For many of their new customers, the very reasonable prices are the main attraction. Keep the prices low and you'll gain customers faster.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  7. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

yeah, what he said...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.