CEBIT 2011 - ESET Mobile Security for Android Beta and ESET Smart Security 5 Beta

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nodyforever, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

At first sight, it looks quite the same since they layout didn't change. Only it has gotten an refresh and new icons.
    But if you look more closely you will a lot of differences. No more standard/advanced view. All tabs are single row now (compared to ESS4 advanced view), for example connections/statistics moved from Security status to Tools. Also the whole navigation is faster, (1 or 2 clicks, instead of 2 or 3 clicks). I am wondering what options will appear in the context menu of the green checkmark.

Also it seems like the program update has changed, since it will automatically warn you for newer versions as it looks like, with version 4 you had to check this forum for updates (ofcourse not for database/module updates).

2. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

For me until now nothing big, i was waiting a Sandbox. :doubt:

I will wait version 6 for renew my license, thanks and good luck ESET.

3. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Thank you for posting the screens..

Looks wonderful and simplistic as before. Why dramatically change the GUI when version 4 has a great looking GUI and is already streamlined?

Most are probably expecting ESET to follow other vendors and make a dramatic change in the GUI.

Even if version 4 is rebranded 5 with the GUI as posted in the screenshots, id be happy. Its already a remarkable product, and no doubt can compete with all the other vendors and their extra marketing modules.

4. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Sandboxing has been in the current ESET products for a while now. It's called "Advanced Heuristics".

5. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

New screens look good, and it also seems it has a program update function :)

@dmaasland
    I think he means more of a Sandbox like Sandboxie than the emulation of malware behaviour.

6. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Well, he ofcourse means sandboxing ala Sandboxie. And not emulation of files to find out if they might be threats based on heuristics.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want that in ESET. I want ESET to be unobtrusive like it has always been, that is why I also never requested HIPS ala Comodo. I hope the HIPS module in ESET version 5 will be silent, actually automatic, just like the firewall in Automatic mode.

7. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

Yeah i'm not that much interested in Sandbox.
    bit off topic - That area is already covered for me by Comodo's Automatic Sandbox. And it does a very good job of what it needs to do.

The new features (Behavioral Monitoring + Cloud) are more anticipated. Ofcourse need to see if any heuristics are further improved..

Thanks,
    Venkat N.

8. ESS3

ESS3 Registered Member

well protects PC, everyone will love and recommend for PC, mobile. Bad..
    :)
    Tools-> new only Cloud info? :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I don't mind that myself. I hate to see these vendors that spend most of their development resources creating a completely new GUI every year and don't put enough attention into the quality of the product. I think this looks pretty good so far.

10. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Great news. Would love to test out the beta on my Droid.

11. rekun

rekun Registered Member

Nice eset :)

Good to see that you have focused more on better detection instead of introducing new "unusable" features.

Please give us the betas now... :D

12. icr

icr Registered Member

Good to know the new features are promising, hope to test the BETA version soon;)

13. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Thanks for the screenies.

The new UI (icons, spaces) is very MSEish/DrWebish. Well MSE's UI (background swirl/net) said to be based on Forefront seems to be inspired by Eset 4 and another AV.

I wonder who their content filter data provider is? And Eset 4 engine does emulate file behavior, on-demand. Will 5 now monitor file behavior, real-time? So ESS 5 will have BB/BM/HIPS (firewall IDS) hybrid. While EAV 5 only BB/BM? Just marketing, time will tell.

14. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

ESET LIVE @ CeBIT ESET CEO Richard Marko will appear at the CeBIT “Importance of Security” panel debate in one hour. You can watch him live on the link provided. Joining him will be five high-profile speakers. This debate will make it apparent that any business model based on Cloud Computing can only be successful if users are convinced that the privacy and security of their data is ensured.

http://stream4.messe.de/dmag/popup/cebit2011/global_020311/index_flash.html

15. troy1987

troy1987 Registered Member

my friend What about ESET Smart Security 5 Beta

16. rekun

rekun Registered Member

Any news of what happened at that show?

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I agree, and we have said this (our wishes) many times before ;) :thumb:

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

+1

Want to beta test the Android software. :)

19. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Nice, than I think we are in the same league :).

What I want ESET Smart Security 5 to be is fast, stable, light, unobtrusive, automatic and easy to use, but with a high degree of adaptability (through the advanced setup [F5]).
    What I want ESET Smart Security to have is great protection against prevelant threats. Through detection/prevention by: signatures, generic signatures, heuristics and advanced heuristics (emulation), just like it is in version 4. What I want version 5 to add/improve is: more behavior-based protection (is coming) and more "Cloud" computing to improve ESET's already quick response time. I want those improvements to overall protection to be integrated (I don't want fancy buttons in the GUI referring to certain functions, I want ONE product which does ONE thing: protect my pc), automatic and unobtrusive.
    What I want ESET to have is advanced capabilities of cleaning my system if it will ever be infected, by: advanced system diagnosis and monitoring tools (improved SysInspector and monitoring), improved rescue disc (SysRescue will be heavily improved), keep improving the ESET Online Scanner and standalone removal tools.
    Next to that I want ESET to keep continiously improving their product (like they already are doing), on all areas: prevention, detection, cleaning and usability.

What I do NOT want ESET to have is funny features I will never use: on-demand sandboxes, virtual safezones, virtual keyboards, remote desktops, pc tuneup and network management tools. I don't want a new fancy GUI every year. I don't want to them follow others in the market (there are a few exceptions, such as Avira).

Please let ESET follow their current business model, and I will keep supporting them. I am absolutely sure version 5 will be awesome and future versions also.

20. delah

delah Registered Member

I would like to know if logging will be improved in ESS 5?
    Something like Kaspersky's total logtastic log features would be brilliant.

Also, will the firewall alert if another process connects to the internet using, for instance Internet Explorer?

Thanks

21. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

That's a big shopping list Matthijs5nl.

The only thing I'd like to see ESET do is replace their current updating method with a cloud infrastructure.

22. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It looks like a big shopping list, but there is nothing spectacular, the ESET products are already a lot like I want the to be (mind my favourite security program is by miles ESET). My wishlist is more or less an continious process of improving, the only NEW things I requested will be included (more Cloud computing and more behavior-based protection).
    In contrary to some other threads with requests I don't want a particular company to change the whole business model (like people requesting a sandbox in the Avira thread, really wtf :S).

23. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yeah, ESET is great as it is, better behavioural detection, more cloud is good too, but I'd like to keep signatures and heuristics etc. local, and not in the cloud.
    A more extensive IDS in the firewall would be nice though.

EDIT: And perhaps something like micro push update for virus signature database for faster response on zero-hour threats.

24. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Agreed.

25. SweX

SweX Registered Member

EXACTLY!

What are we suppose to use if we don't want either a sandbox or a chatty HIPS?

If Avira and ESET adds those, then we don't have many choices left.
    But I know they won't! Right ESET ;)

And ask your self. DO YOU really want ALL Antiviruses to include sanboxes or a chatty HIPS?
    I also know that this answer is NO, we don't.

So be really careful requesting ALL the Vendors in their future changes/suggestions threads on their forums to add those features.

At some point you may think (Nah now I am tired of this stupid sandbox, I want an AV without one.)
    Today you can, but in the future maybe you can't.

This is what I think and I know that some share my thoughts as well....

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.