Cd-W Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

After three days of battling this issue my patience is worn.........re-moved Easy Cd creator entirely then did a clean install......from cd disc.........problem remains.

going to have to sit back and re-look at this mess....still can burn 650mb.....but no 700mb......an yes it clearly shows that it should burn 700mbs.........made every possible adjustment....still a no burn...........going to take a break from this......relax then try another time.

2. controler

controler Guest

Yes you can format the CD and write to it. I just didn't think any of the newer CD's were not preformated.
    CD's are just like a floppy disk. You sure can't write to a floppy without formating it.
    Here id the deal. You CAN write to a CD-R and write to it another day
    if you haven't CLOSED it. BUT until you actualy close the CD, you won't be able to run it on any other CD-Rom.
    Also the latest version of CD Creator is like 5.03 isn't it?

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Controler

hey my friend......I am using cd-rw....and tryed several brand new never before used discs........none work,

like with a floppy I tryed to erase the disc..which in turn formats it.....but on the 700mb discs it wont erase...just sits there...which is the same thing that happens when trying to do a system test using the 700md...just sits there!!
    the taskbar shows its a 700mb disc....an should test the transfer speed...it wont....but will with a 650 disc....odd.
    I could easily download another burner or take Mickey's offer....an yet I feel that after paying for a burner it should work.....an I am just stubborn enough to try until it does.
    burning cd's is not my normal thing.....at most have burned 10 cd's over the years...music and data....and iso's....never a problem until now......will just keep trying

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Forgot to mention....I have Never been able to write to a cd-r disc.....have always had to use cd=rw discs...

5. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Snowman, you are not trying to burn that iso to a CD-RW i hope !

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Controler,
    I'm not sure you can format a CDR. Yes, you can leave the session open and add more files at another time, but once anything is written to the CDR, it cannot be erased or formatted, even while it was brand new !!
    But just the opposite applies to CDR-W's !
    Unless you have other burning software that I'm not yet aware of !! :D

regards,
    bill ;)

7. snowy

snowy Guest

Well now I am REALLY UPSET...at myself!!!!!

The tray on drive f opened un-expectly...my leg hit...knocked the entire sliding try almost out of the tower.....an when trying to fix it I broke the door....hows that!!! But did get the tray back in.....seems to be working.........don't know about "writing" but it does "read"

Have dl'ed Nero.....after some sleep I'll remove Easy Cd and install Nero....just to see if the problem is with Easy Cd or the disc...........

Broke a part of the Ye Ole Computer....an broke my heart! This ole puter been through rough times but has always been well cared for.....a bubble bath every Saturday night......reformatted ever three months..........oooooooh now its door is broke.....
    any comments on Nero....got the demo......

8. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Snowy....
    it may be time to grab a Java and take the afternoon off !! :D

I use Nero. It came bundled with my A-Open Burner. It works very well for me.
    Based on friend's comments, Roxio Easy CD Creator is another one I would recommend !!
    I doubt that your problem is related to Easy CD Creator, but you never know !! :p

Regards,
    bill ;)

9. snowy

snowy Guest

BILL....very good advice...I'm bushed!! An trying to take care of business matters...with just one hour of sleep....a tired man makes mistakes

I agree...an don't think the problem is with Easy CD.....whats so odd is that when the 700mb disc is placed in f drive....the drive does not even see the disc....its as if its just not there. also tryed several other disc an immediately f drive see's them......so I am of the thought that this problem is related to the type of 700mb disc being used......
    well back to work...then sleep...lots of restful sleep..

10. KING

KING Registered Member

DLEXPERT? Still in use? I moved on and suggest you all try FileHound...use it and never look back.

Best burning programs...
    CloneCD and Blindwrite

To fix this problem quicker and easier it would be nice ot have the exact make and model of your burner.

I think you just need a new burner either way. Burners today are fine to keep for 5 years, but one from 5 years ago...I don't think so. :)

I have two ASUS, nice low price with the best technology around. Very fast, copy ANYTHING, what else can you ask for.

check out how good your burner really is

Just got the ASUS CRW-5224A for 76 USD including shipping and handling and last year I got the ASUS CRW-4816A for 86 w/ s&h. They are dirt cheap.

P.S. Don't go for hype name burners like Plextor or the new Yamaha F1. They are not as good as they say they are.

To update firmware or drivers you should check your burner makers official website for that.

11. KING

KING Registered Member

Almost forgot...

For compresion UltimateZip

Best around. ;)

12. snowy

snowy Guest

KING....is that really KING.....

good gosh....last time I shared posts with you was when your cat was so ill...that was what..two..maybe three years ago........well hope all is well with you,.

by now everyone may be awear that I know zip about burners.......the one I have is Roxo Easy Cd Burner Standard Edition........an for the most part it works very well.....never had a problem with it until now using these 700mb disc.....I only use the burner now and then...but I do depend on it very much for backing up programs for when I do re-formats.....which saves me days of re-downloading.
    Plus, when helpiong others I can just bring the CD's along with the needed programs.....a tremendous asset.

King, I will look at the links you provided....thank you very much.

EYESPY

I got some sleep LOL

13. snowy

snowy Guest

King... you sure brought back memories,,,,,I just remembered that it was Mickey The Man who first got me into backing up my system on CD's.......we were discussing partitions at the time......

Snowy The Snowman

14. snowy

snowy Guest

The burner's an Adaptec Easy Cd Creator standard edition

15. snowy

snowy Guest

Questions: does Dlexpert need to be removed in order to install and use Filehound?

Will using Compression make the 700mb downloaded file fit on a 650mb cd ? The program runs from the cd...

16. controler

controler Guest

I didn't think Adapetc made a CD bruner called ez creater. I thought that was the name of the software used to burn the CD's.
    If adaptec makes a burner, does it have a different name?
    I go to their products page and don't see any burners listed.

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/prodindextech.html?sess=no&source=menu

17. snowy

snowy Guest

Controler

you may be correct..I am not sure..thats why I posted both names. I think but again not sure..that the adaptec burner was purchased by ROXIO.....the upgraded drivers I download cam from them......but hey I know nothing on this subject......other than the frustration of my burn not working LOL

18. KING

KING Registered Member

I can't help but help people...it is a disease.

NO snowman, you don't need to remove dlexpert although after using filehound you will never use it again if the fastest downloads possible is what you want.

Controller is right snowman, you keep naming the software. That is burning software BUT the term burner refers to the physical drive in your computer and not the software. That is the root of all the confusion at the moment.

Right click my computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > CD/DVD drives(expand) > tell us the make and model of your drives. This reveals the compnay that makes it and which one it is. that is what we need to know so that we can help you find firmware and driver updates if available.

19. KING

KING Registered Member

You can compress the download into one zip file and then put that on the CD. Ultimatezip compresses way better than any other program. Try it, it can't hurt.

Off to the movies...goodnight.

20. snowy

snowy Guest

**Right click my computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > CD/DVD drives(expand***

KING

The above listing is not there....I went through EVERYTHING thinking perhaps I wasn't seeing it.....but its just not there. this is on a win98

21. snowy

snowy Guest

Was discussing this with a group at church this morning an two people there are also experiencing the same issue with the 700mb disc.....one youngster claims to have found a work around by tinkering "with the disc" but he wasn't able to explain in such a way that I could understand......

although I do believe there is a disc issue...."tinkering" with the disc does not sound quite like a solution.....but just in case it was....I walked all over that there silly disc....shook my finger at it.......called it a few rare names...but nope it still wont work....

22. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Snowy,
    if only it were that easy !!

My Burner seems to have trouble detecting/reading the "generic" brand (no label) cdr's. I haven't had any trouble as of late with 'brand name" cdr's !

Compress it, burn it, save it for a rainy day!

Regards,
    bill ;)

23. snowy

snowy Guest

BILL

you may be right....really don't think I have any other option at this time. The people I mentioned were also experiencing the problem...contacted the vendors but no solution was forthcoming.......
    for the heck of it I'll try other cd's....so far have tryed Compaq...memmorex and an off brand.

oh wellsss

24. KING

KING Registered Member

Hey guys,

Included with your hardware is always a manual. IN burner manuals they always tell you prefered media that will work best with it. Check that out and buy that media.

I say just go get a new one, they are dirt cheap now and once you have a really good one who knows what you will start getting into when there are no limitations. Need recommendaitons? Just ask.

In Win9x systems then you can find this same thing in Control Panel > System > a tree list of all devices > CD Rom/etc such as DVD ROM if available > tell the name you see there.

New burner is really the way to go, they are only getting cheaper and better. The better ones have no problems whatsoever and don't cost much at all. ;)

25. snowy

snowy Guest

King

now this is very odd..mine is 9x.....but no listing such as you mention.....I also have DVD......the cdrom is there....but nothing related to what you posted......an I know you well enough to know that if its suppose to be listed then it should be................

yes I did dl TWO other burners for testing.....an will try later...........right now kinda tired.
    The burn is by Roxio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.