CCleaner no longer cleans Flash ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Fly, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have Adobe Flash Player, Quicktime Player, Quicktime Player Cache, and Windows Media Player listed under Multimedia. I am running Windows 7 x64 and the latest version of CCleaner (2.33.1184). I'd try to uninstall and reinstall CCleaner if things are missing.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Considering I've upgraded it countless times and it has never appeared, I highly doubt that. Also I do not install Apple's bloatware. So all that should be there is WMP and flash.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i use x64

4. elapsed

Currently not appearing on a Win7x64 laptop either :(

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

that is odd, on windows 7 64 bit here (as my screen shot)
    I had a couple of issues after the last flash update, i use firefox. so i removed all flash and ran adobe's clean up tool then re-installed could be worth a try i suppose?
    my ccleaner is installed on default (without toolbar) as are all the settings.

6. elapsed

Already did. Are you installing the ActiveX plugin? As I'm only installing the DLL.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i have both, i occasionally use ie8 the activex and plug in are showing in add and remove programs.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The latest version of CCleaner doesn't seem to help ! (slim build)

The same folder in which Flash stores the settings file also included some Flash data. I included that folder, excluded the settings file, but even after running CCleaner Flash stuff was still resident in that folder ! I noticed that when I got to the Flash security settings/web interface.

How is that possible ? I included the folder, so everything should have been deleted. :blink:

Online storage of Flash ?
    I didn't have this issue till they got their new web interface.

(Windows XP Home Edition SP2 IE 7, I prefer not to use additional software to clean Flash)

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Where is your Macromedia folder? If different than where Ccleaner expects it to be than no cleaning will happen.

10. elapsed

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

But I doubt it looks there, I'd think it would make more sense to look in the storage location for the actual cookies.

Flash cookie cleaner works fine though.

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not sure whether that's directed at me or elapsed.

Anyway, my inclusions are described in post #1 of this thread.
    I just cannot understand why CCleaner doesn't clean those folders since I explicitely include them ! And Flash is ticked as an application, latest version of CCleaner.

I have the latest version of Flash 10.1.53.64, without Adobe's download manager.

Online storage ? Aside from third party software, only the web interface works.

12. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I use Better Privacy. An add-on for firefox that will auto clear your flash cookies and other LSO cookies. Never had a problem with it. Just had to put some sites in the white list so they would not be deleted.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623/

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It seems I'm not alone with this issue.

See http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=27165&hl=Flash

I haven't tried editing the registry.

Given the fact I use the proper inclusions, I don't understand how it's possible that Flash cookies and/or settings.sol file are not cleaned !
    I instruct CCleaner to clean a certain folder, but the data in that folder remains ! The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of online storage. Foolish maybe, but I don't understand.

14. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Workaround: Go to Options and manually add

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\

to the Include list. Strange though that settings.sol doesn't get deleted by default... Anyone?

15. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Fly, as a troubleshooting step, can you configure CCleaner to create a wipe log (assuming the tool has this capability)? If so, then does the log report any errors when attempting to wipe the Flash cookies?

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For the purpose of 'bug reporting' I was instructed to clean Flash only. I believe it involved double-left clicking (?) in CCleaner on the Flash application, right click (?) to create a log file.

I no longer have the original log.

The log showed that the path
    c:documents and settings\username\Appication Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\ and the settings.sol file had been cleaned. So I didn't use inclusions/exclusions. But when I checked afterwards, the settings.sol file was still there !

No error messages.

I got no follow-up on the piriform forum. It's weird !

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

It's not like that on my system :)

Windows XP SP2 Home Edition IE 7.

Two inclusions, and an exclusion for the settings file.

Even though I include the path manually, the Flash cookies remain !
    The web interface 'flash security settings' works though.

18. Pleonasm

Fly, I don’t recall if you have already performed this troubleshooting test, but does an alternative solution to CCleaner (e.g., R-Wipe&Clean) solve the problem? If so, then the problem would appear to reside in CCleaner; if not, then the root cause of the difficulty must reside elsewhere.

19. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thank you. A very effective program indeed. :thumb:

However, since this is just my 'old' computer which I'll use for regular internet access for the near feature I won't buy the app. I 've uninstalled it.

The weird thing is: Wipe & Clean found THREE settings.sol files !
    That seems very wrong. Btw, I didn't read the manual and I don't remember their location being listed.

Wipe & Clean succeeded in removing all Flash cookies, and presumably the three settings.sol files.

Btw, after uninstallation a Wipe & Clean folder remained, which I removed manually. Is that OK ? I didn't notice any problems.

Opinions ?

20. Pleonasm

Well, at least we now know that the problem appears to be specific to CCleaner itself....

P.S.: If you uninstalled R-Wipe&Clean, then I suspect it is okay to manually delete the folder C:\Program Files\R-Wipe&Clean.

21. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Maybe I am missing something here (very possible as I admit I only skimmed through this thread) but CCleaner works fine on my systems for removing the flash cookies using the settings pictured here:

Attached Files:

22. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Firebytes, that used to work for me !
    I think it used to work till Adobe came up with their new web interface ('flash security settings'). I'm not sure.

Which version of Flash are you using ?

Mine is: 10.1.53.64.

23. culla

culla Registered Member

24. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

10,1,53,64 is my version as well

25. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.