Caveats to "Recovery to new hardware"?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by BobHy, Dec 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobHy

BobHy Registered Member

I will shortly be assembling a new system. Currently I'm using Windows XP Home SP3. I'd like to migrate over to the new PC in steps. First I'd like to transfer my entire XP system including all programs over to the new computer and maintain the usability of everything as it is on the old computer. Then, on another drive I'd install Windows 7 and gradually reinstall from the original media all programs that are compatible with Win 7; this could take quite a while. I'd like to be able to continue using my existing installation on the new computer while configuring the new one.

It appears that the Backup & Recovery Suite is a tool that will enable complete migration.
    From what I understand in reading the manual, I'd create an image of the existing drive onto an external USB drive.
    Next, I think that the instruction "Your OS is unrolled on the new computer, not in a backup image" means that XP needs to be installed on the new computer. Am I correct? If this is correct, then all appropriate drivers whould have been installed during the XP installation.
    Next, the computer would be booted from the WinPE bootable CD, then the saved image would be installed with instructions to not update the drivers. Is this correct?

My current machine is a 32 bit system; the new would be 64 bit.

Will this work for me and has anyone any experience with doing it?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have not done it, but what I had understood is that after creating the backup image, the hard disk with the OS must be installed in the new computer, and the process would start from that point. No need to install any OS.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

You can either put an HD containing the existing XP install ( e.g. your existing HD ) into the new machine - boot the Paragon recovery cd and select adjust o/s to boot on hardware.

Then XP should boot , installing all the necessary drivers that it already has on board, e.g. in the Driverstore folder.

If the new machine requires drivers that you know are not already included - you can use the Load Driver function on the CD.

OR, you can make an Image of the XP system with Paragon, then restore that image to the new HD on the new machine - selecting Simple Restore , and Adjust o/s to boot on new hardware.

The caveat is that Windows will realize it is on new hardware and require reactivation - does your product key allow you to move XP to a different machine?

4. BobHy

BobHy Registered Member

The issue is, I think that the new machine will probably require new drivers because of the differences in hardware and probably because its going from 16 bit to 32. How do I determine what those drivers are? Or, does the Paragon program contain likely drivers?

I've been led to believe that XP may be moved to another machine by the same licensee. Of course it will require a call to Microsoft for activation.

Its also my understanding that I'll able to install the upgrade version of Win 7.

Bob

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

The Paragon program doesn't contain any drivers.

It makes the drivers contained in the o/s available on the new hardware. Normally , they wouldn't be - and the o/s would refuse to boot on the new machine - Paragon makes it all happen - great piece of software.

It also allows you to Load any extra drivers you might need , e.g for the video or ethernet card, etc if XP doesn't already have them - you have to find out what they are from the machine manufacturers website and get hold of them - Paragon just loads them.

You shouldn't have any difficulty if you have XP with SP3.

Not sure what you mean by going from 16 to 32 bit .

Is XP available in 16 bit ?

You will be fine installing the Upgrade version of 7 - it needs to be a clean install - you can't do an in-place upgrade over XP.

You can install 7 by booting the dvd and selecting Custom install - when you get to bit asking where you want to install, click Drive Options(advanced) and you will be able to repartition if you like.

Otherwise, just click on the partition you want to install on - click Next.

You will be able to activate with the 7 upgrade key no matter what - even on a blank drive with no other windows o/s in sight.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  6. BobHy

BobHy Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

That should have been 32 bit to 64.

7. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

I don't think there's anyway to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. Even if you upgrade Windows XP 32bit to Windows 7, it may only go 32bit to 32bit.

If you are going from IDE/SATA to IDE/SATA but new motherboard, video, audio, NIC, it's not absolutely necessary to inject new drivers. Windows should have the bare minimum for you to boot up and then update the drivers. What you do have to do though is a P2P Adjust without loading drivers. This just strips the current hardware profile of the old machine, rebuilds the HAL and boots windows as if it's the first time, hardware-wise.

1. Install BR10 and backup your existing machine to external hard drive.
    2. Create recovery media, boot new machine with it and attach external hard drive.
    3. Restore the Windows XP image to the new barebone hard drive.
    4. Run P2P Adjust with "Do not upload drivers"
    5. Restart, if you encounter errors/BSOD. Collect the new hardware drivers, repeat step 4 and load those drivers.
    6. Upgrade Windows 7 once you're back in Win XP.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.