Catastrophic Failure

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LaFemmeMichele, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

It all began here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=163312

After running Symantec's Removal Tool on my 12 day old notebook & rebooting I was greeted on the desktop by an error message:

Infineon Trusted Platform Module
    Catastrophic failure

& another:

Caution
    The installed battery may not be properly connected to the computer or may not be compatible with the computer. Click OK to enter Hibernate mode, & reinsert the battery.

I attempted to return to a time when Windows was stable with guidance, but the Catastrophic failure message remained.

Infineon Trusted Platform Module is a security feature of my PC with hardware & software components. I removed Infineon listed in Control Panel/Add Remove Programs. The error message disappeared & things remained asymptomatic until I attempted to reinstall the Infineon program. The installation wizard gave me:

Trusted Platform Module Driver Installation Error
    Installation of Trusted Platform Module failed because no device to be updated could be found.

I noticed when running a registry mechanic after removing Infineon it went unrecognized as well.

Last week I had to whitelist Infineon in my registry mechanic because it targeted the program. At that time I had gone to the manufacturer's site & d/l a fresh copy of Infineon from their original drivers & software section. It was recognized by the PC & I was asked if I wished to repair by the wizard during the install.

I believe Infineon TPM was a vulnerability prior to Symantec episode by the way the registry mechanic behaved.

At this point I am attempting to ascertain the extent of the damage. Is it OS deep or is it the hardware part of Infineon that is the catastrophic failure?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

*Update*: I was considering deleting this "ordeal to read", but decided to leave it, for it might be of some benefit to someone.

For the sake of closure, after reading the store warranty 14 day return policy on day 14 & realizing from that point onward entitles one to a questionable repair with refurbished parts at best--Sony has a little disclaimer on its site re Infineon, I decided to part with my new PC. I also want to thank those of you who lent me such terrific support. :)

Michele

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.