Can't Use Windows Update Site - Says Need To Be Admin

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DasFox, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I did everything except Method 6 and by the way my Catroot2 folder just has an empty sub directory in it, is that ok, that, there's nothing in it?

THANKS

2. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

I had problems running Windows Update with ESS (Eset Smart Security), try disabling any firewall + antivirus before running Windows Update and then turn them back on...
    Let us know if that helped you...
    tisazalay

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Without reserve I'm satisfied you've overlooked something within the provided content. That said, you should have a failed update log in the system folder - dump it. Spec startup stats for auto-update and BITS, include XP and IE versions .... details you probably know should've accompanied your opening post.

PS - Re-execute the fifth method, then convey the status from the fourth after having moved on the sixth. Follow up on this suggestion too while you're at it ..."take a look at the software restriction policy for iexplorer.exe anyway, even if you didn't set it yourself." You might well take the above advice and knock out additional security soft.

4. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Can you make the scan with MBAM (Malwarebytes AntiMalware) , please ...

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I haven't overlooked anything I went back and I've redone everything over as well. The only thing I hadn't done was the method 6 but I did it this time as well as removing the update log, but still no help same error.

What are you talking about, Spec startup stats and BITS? All the services are on and running.

Under the Group policy - Software Restriction Policies there is nothing for IE. Under the Security tab, Admin is there with Full, as well as the Advanced security settings.

The system is clean...

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Did you install new security software since the last time you were able to update successfully? Are you using DropMyRights or any other similar programs? It seems something is causing your iexplore.exe to run with limited rights. In XP, you cannot do Windows updates when iexplore.exe is running with limited rights. Since you seem to have Windows update working in safe mode (right?), it seems there is nothing wrong with the infrastructure for Windows update itself.

Can you try the Process Explorer routine we did earlier, but try a few other processes instead of iexplore.exe? I'd like to know if 'deny' appears with other processes too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  7. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I had sandboxie installed, but I've removed it and I did not make any changes in Sandboxie for IE to give it limited rights. The registry key was the only thing I added into the system which gave IE limited rights but I deleted the key as I mentioned before.

I've run a few various applications and I'm using the K-Meleon browser and none of them have 'Deny' on them, only IE.

8. MrBrian

Please try this:

On Start menu->Run...->type "secpol.msc" without quotes. Go to 'Additional Rules'. Add a 'New Path Rule' for C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (change path to whatever is appropriate for your system). Set Security level to 'Unrestricted'. Try the Process Explorer routine again on iexplore.exe - has 'deny'?

P.S. I see I had been using iexplorer.exe in some places - should have been iexplore.exe. I corrected the posts.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I added the rule, I take it I don't need to reboot for the rule to take effect? If I don't need to reboot it says Deny on IE when I run it still...

10. MrBrian

Please try rebooting and see if 'deny' is still there. If you get 'deny', if you wish, please list your security software.

11. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Rebooted and 'Deny' still there for IE.

As far as security software goes, the only thing I have running in the background is Avira. Other then that all I use is Malwarebytes and SAS, for on demand scanning.

12. MrBrian

In Task Manager or Process Explorer, please verify that iexplore.exe is not already running. Then on Start menu->Run...->iexplore <enter>. Then do the Process Explorer routine on iexplore.exe again. Still get 'deny'?

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm not a newbie, you asked before if it was deny and I said it was. LOL... :D

THANKS

14. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

15. MrBrian

The reason I requested you to try it from Run this time is to see if the way you normally start Internet Explorer is causing a drop in rights, which might not occur when you start it from Run.

Are you using a software firewall? If so, which?

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well thanks guys, when it gets to be this drawn out and you don't have much data on the box, it's reformat and reinstall time, hehe...

Well all clean now and working from the reinstall...

THANKS again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.