Can't upgrade to new version of Returnil Home Lux

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by cyberdiva, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the clarification.

I know that RVS virtualization is independent of the GUI, but I'm talking about Virus Guard File Protection remaining active after exiting the GUI then terminating the service abnormally by killing the rvsmon process instead of stopping the service. If the service is stopped rather than simply killing the process, all program features are disabled and the program ends cleanly.

I was merely guessing that, with neither the GUI nor the service running, Virus Guard File Protection might be enforced using a device driver. As you have said that this is not the case, if it's not a trade secret, how does Virus Guard File Protection manage to remain enabled when neither the rvsmon or rvsgui processes are running? I'm just curious, that's all.

Regards

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Though slightly OT for this thread, the file Protection is a separate feature but is included in the VG section because it is related in many ways and therefore it is a logical place to look for its configuration within the GUI. The feature itself is based, and relies, on native Windows components so is is independent of RVS in many ways.

In the future, we plan to phase it out in preference of multi-partition virtualization that is similar to that being tested in the Labs version now. Think of the FP as a stop-gap element that was only meant to serve until a more robust approach was fully developed and tested.

Mike

3. cyberdiva

cyberdiva Registered Member

I'm sorry, Mike, I don't think I asked my questions clearly enough. Should I first try to uninstall the version of Returnil that I have on my system now, or should I attempt to use the advanced installation to do an in-place upgrade? In either case, I would first turn off all security software, but can I just do an in-place upgrade?

4. Coldmoon

Yes, please do it this way.

Mike

5. cyberdiva

Hi, Mike. To my disappointment but not my surprise, the most recent installation attempt failed. I've now sent off the debugging file to support-tech. As far as I can tell, I no longer have a working copy of Returnil on my computer. Should I simply wait to hear back from support, or should I use a restore point? There's one from today that apparently Returnil made, presumably before it tried to remove the old Returnil and install the new one. Or I could go back to one I set yesterday, which might have the advantage of restoring my system to a normal security state rather than one in which so many settings had been changed. I don't mind waiting a few days before doing anything if you think that's best.

Again, many thanks for your continued help.

6. Coldmoon

Yes, this is best for the time being. I have checked, and we have your log files so the next step is to wait while the team investigates the reports.

Mike

7. cyberdiva

Thanks very much, Mike. I've now used yesterday's restore point, and I seem to have a working version of Returnil back on my computer. I look forward to hearing from tech support after they've had a chance to analyze what I sent them.

Thanks again for all your help.

8. cyberdiva

I'm happy to say that the problem I had has now been resolved. I sent off the verbose debug log to Returnil's tech support. I eventually followed up with a message to them. This led to an exchange of messages and, ultimately, to their suggestion that I try to install the most recent version twice, and that after (unsuccessful) installation attempt #1, I should restart my computer and then try the installation again. This worked, and I now have the most recent version of Returnil installed on my computer. :)

I see that ColdMoon has now put up a sticky outlining a somewhat different solution to installation problems. According to tech support, both methods would have worked for me, but the sticky's method will also work in even more extreme situations.

I'm very grateful to ColdMoon and to Returnil's tech support staff for their help and their patience. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.