Can't uninstall NOD32 v3 - virlog.dat problem

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by mhl, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhl

mhl Registered Member

I'm trying to uninstall NOD32 (v3) in order to install v4, but I get the error message that another application has exclusive access to virlog.dat. I have to abort the uninstall process. When I re-start NOD32, it tells me I have a serious problem (you bet!!) and I should re-install .. but I get the same error message about virlog.dat. So now I am stuck with no AV program.

Hope someone can help.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. mhl

mhl Registered Member

ronjor

Thanks for the prompt reply. The link was of some help (although incorrect in one aspect), but I still cannot install NOD32 v4.

The help link includes the instruction to delete the folder C:\Program Files\ESET, although not in Safe Mode. This folder includes ekrn.exe - which I was unable to delete (another application using it). So I re-booted back into Safe Mode and was able to delete ekrn.exe then.

However even now I cannot install the new v4 - at the final stage of the installation, having confirmed all the settings, I get the message "Network error while attempting to read from C:\WINNT\Installer\eav_nt_32_enu.msi". I have downloaded a fresh copy of this installation file but I still get the same error when I try to install.

Further help required here please.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

First , make sure there are no leftovers of any ESET files and reg.entries .
    Second , just to be sure , download and run this utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    Once installed , run from Start menu -> Programs

At the end , place a copy of the install file eav_nt32_enu.msi in this folder:
    C:\WINNT\Installer\ and run an installation from the original file.

ASpace

5. mhl

mhl Registered Member

ASpace

Another very speedy reply - many thanks.

In fact moments after posting my previous message ESET tech support phoned me. They resolved the problem - another entry in Registry that wasn't in ronjor's help link.

I've downloaded the MS installation cleanup utility that you suggested. I don't need it on this occasion but it may come in handy in future.

Thanks again to both this forum and ESET's tech support for brilliant help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.