Cant seem to find this info

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Koltar, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koltar

Koltar Registered Member

What I have is a 160GB sata drive split into 2 partitions each 80GB, what i do is keep my system type files on 1 and installed programs on the other, but what i want to do is make a 3rd smaller hidden partition.

With that 3rd partition i want use it to backup the other 2 incase i get overwhelmed with spyware or a virus i cant get rid of.

What i want to do is resize the other 2 partitions to just big enough to hold all the data they currently have and then do a full backup and save it to the 3rd partition.

after i do the backup to the 3rd i want to repartition them back to full size and i will end up with like 2 50GB partitions and 1 60GB partition.

Any ideas if and how i can do this? I looked around but didnt see anything that gives info on this.
    thanks

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Koltar,

if you are serious about protecting your data you may want to look at using a separate drive to stick your backups on. If your first one crashes, all the virus avoiding techniques in the world are not going to help you.

As far as having a hidden partition, using the Acronis Secure Zone might get you part way there.

F.

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is not the best practice to store backups on the same hard drive as the one you are trying to protect. This is because a total drive failure would leave you with nothing as all your eggs would be in one basket.

However, to protect your partitions in the way you have specifed, Acronis TI has a solution. The third partition can be simply created as a secure zone. The creation wizard allows you to take free space from your existing partitions to form the secure zone of the size you require.

Just as a suggestion size your secure zone as the total of your used space on both your existing partitions times two. If you use normal image compression you will be able to store two whole images of your two primary partitions and still leave room for some growth in your data. The secure zone can be resized should this become necessary.

Longer term I would suggest you look towards storage of backups on separate media. I choose another hard drive above all others but different strokes for different folks.

Xpilot

4. Koltar

Koltar Registered Member

OK then would it be ok to repartition my 2 drives to be smaller, then do a Total backup on DVDs, that would keep me from having to back up all 160GB.

If thats an ok idea, where should i start?

BTW thanks for the input =)

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

No need to make your partitions smaller as TI does not backup free space. So if you choose to backup the whole disk it is only the size of the used space that is imaged.

As I have never used TI to backup to DVDs I cannot advise you further about that.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.