Can't see USB external hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ed Y, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

I've had TI 8.0 for a couple of months (both builds 774 and 786). I've been backing up to a TEAC USB 2.0 80GB hard drive. Only restores that I've done have been a few files/folders using TI under Windows.

I have a boot CD from both builds. I did boot from each of these but didn't do anything else. It just occurred to me that I ought to at least check and make sure the external hard drive can be seen when using the TI boot CD.

Nope, TI doesn't show the hard drive on the list of devices if I try to do a "check image" after booting from the CD. I did notice a couple of odd messages during the boot phase:

hub c: port 3 over current change
    hub c: port 4 over current change

No idea what these mean.

Am I missing something here or am I out of luck with using the external USB drive?? I did try booting from the CD with the external drive connected and powered up and also with the drive powered down and USB cable disconnected which I then connected and powered up after the boot CD loaded. No difference either way.

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

FWIW Ed Y I have a Freecom USB 80GB external drive which TrueImage sees OK. In fact, I have done a few Restores from it with no problems. I wonder if your problem is something to do with the chipset of your motherboard?
    John

3. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Not really sure about that John. It's a Dell Dimension 4300, about 3 years old. Have absolutely no problem doing anything I want with the external drive using Windows or even TI runnings under Windows. I would think if it's a problem with the chipset, the problem would show up then too?? Have to admit, when talking chipsets, etc., that's a little beyond my area of expertise.

I just had a thought, maybe I need to reboot again from the "boot CD" and check all the drive letter options that are shown by TI. Is possible that the external drive would show as a different lettero_O Seems like I've seen some threads about that.

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Does the External Hard Drive require its own formater or can you use windows formater? Have you formatted it recently?

Jimbob

5. foolproof

foolproof Registered Member

You can save and restore from within windows, but have limited functionality from the bootable cd. What save location options are you allowed when usiing the cd?

6. Ed Y

Ed Y Registered Member

Jimbob1989,

The external hard drive is formatted to NTFS. Originally was FAT32 but i reformatted it.

Foolproof,

Not exactly sure what you mean. "save location" options is not something that shows up in the TI menu screen from the TI bootable CD.

Actually, I don't really have a problem. I overlooked something. I just booted from the TI CD and checked each drive letter. Under Windows, the external hard drive shows as "G". When booting from the TI boot CD, the external hard drive is now "D" which was the Zip Drive under Windows.

All the full backups and incremental backups I've created show just fine under drive "D". Phew, glad that's all OK.

7. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Good to hear it. Often we cannot see the wood for the trees. ;)
    Happy Christmas. :)
    John

8. foolproof

foolproof Registered Member

Sorry to have been unclear. I wasn't accessing my own copy of the program at the time and lapsed perhaps too far into generalities. Obviously, you had managed to save to your external from within window. I was just trying to get a focus on what choices you were given for saving from the bootable cd. I guess I was hoping you were going to come out just about where you did. Glad to hear the problem's solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.