Can't see USB drive in My computer.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bugeyed, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugeyed

Bugeyed Registered Member

I have an external USB drive case & put the old drive that was in my system. Just upgraded to larger drive, & I can't see the drive in my computer or disk management. Device manager sees it, but it misspells Toshiba (VOSHKBC) & the model name is a bit garbled. Is it possible that it's because this drive is set for logical drive 0? If so, how do I change that? I am running XP SP2 & the driver for the USB loads when I plug it in, as the system sees new hardware.
    How can I access this drive?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Whenever there is a symptom like a garbled name for a drive, look for a bad ribbon cable connection. Disconnect and reconnect the ribbon cable in the external drive.

3. Bugeyed

Bugeyed Registered Member

Thanks. This one is hardwired to the board so I touched up all the solder connections & one of the pins was loose. Loose, that is, from the connector, so I will get a new case. Probably not worth the trouble to get a new connector & remove & resolder to board. They are cheap. Thanks

4. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Do you have a desktop pc or a notebook?
    (and what desktop/notebook)

EDIT:
    Too late. It seems to be a cable problem... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.