Can't see firewire external drive from Boot CD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeannieb360, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeannieb360

jeannieb360 Registered Member

I downloaded the free trial of Acronis True Image 9.0 and created the boot CD. I did this yesterday, 10/11/2005, so I know that the software copy is the latest build.

I'm running WINDOWS XP Service Pack 2. I created a backup image on my external firewire drive and checked the image. I can see it in Windows with My Computer.

When I boot from the boot CD, tho, and tell it to Recover, I can't see the external drive; I can only see my two partitions on my internal drive and my DVD and my CD drives.

I know my external drive is a 120 GB IBM drive. I'm ignorant as to the external case info (I read the thread on Firewire/USB external drives but didn't understand most of it!)

From my control panel/system/hardware/device manager, I can see the following info:

IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers
    NEC OHCI Complient IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Network Adapters
    1394 Net Adapter

SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices
    SBP2 Compliant IEEE 1394 devices

Any idea how to get it so that I can see my firewire drive if I ever need to recover my drive after a serious crash and need to boot from the Acronis boot CD?

I have Norton Ghost 2003 and have used it with this external firewire drive on this computer and a laptop, and even recovered the laptop booting from the Ghost boot floppy disk.

I want to try Acronis and then buy it if it will actually work for me! I'm waiting for delivery of a LaCie firewire 250 GB external drive, and then pass my current firewire external hard drive on to a friend, telling him to buy Acronis. But I certainy can't do that if I can't get Acronis to work for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. jeannieb360

jeannieb360 Registered Member

I redownloaded the trial software today, build 2289. I uninstalled my earlier trial version, installed the new build, recreated the Recovery Boot CD, and NOW I CAN see the external firewired drive if I boot from the Recovery CD.

I don't remember what build level I downloaded earlier, but it was only a few days ago, so other people may find that the build currently available DOES work.

I'll admit that I haven't actually tried to do the full recovery from this boot CD - I'd want to do a full backup with my GHOST software (which I know works) before I'd try the recovery with the True Image software. But I'll try that within a few days and let you all know if that actually works.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.