Can't restore Vista OS using TrueImage

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by plettner, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plettner

plettner Registered Member

I had Vista Ultimate installed on a RAID 0 setup which was working fine.

However, one drive slowly failed so I made a backup to my external USB HDD using TI 11 Home build 8101 and I checked the integrity. I then fixed the RAID array and it is correctly set up.

When I try and restore (using the bootable media) from my USB HDD, True Image cannot see the RAID 0 drive.

How do I restore to this drive? The motherboard's not really - 18-24 months old so it's not cutting-edge technology.

Acronis products seem to be so flaky, Disk Director 10 (which I also own) will detect the USB drive in Full mpde but not safe mode. In Safe mode, however, it will find my SATA drive and the RAID array.

2. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I have done many images and restores on Vista using ATI 11. There are some issues with RAID, so search the forums to see if you find some tips.

3. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Yep , Me to and it has work everytime .

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI11 has problems seeing some RAIDs and some PCI expansion card-controller drives. Best bet is make a BartPE or VistaPE disk or else contact Tech support -- you need diff drivers than what is included in 8101.

5. plettner

Thanks for the suggestions. Tech Support have provided me with a different ISO and using this, I have no luck either.

I ended up reloading VIsta onto the RAID 0 array and installed Acronis TI 11 hoping to do a restore under the Windows Vista environment. This has not worked either as when ATI wants to reboot it starts but then mustn't be able to see the RAID array. This also occurs under the retore Secure Zone. I find this quite odd as while I can press F11 and enter the Secure Zone, I cannot select the RAID 0 array as the destination even though the software starts from the RAID 0 array.

I've managed to copy the TIB file to a SATA data drive (seperate from the RAID). Using my older copy of TI 10 Home in Safe mode, I can see both the RAID array and the data drive but it does not let me restore a version 11 TIB.

I will search to see if I can enter TI 11 using Safe Mode.

6. plettner

I should also mention, I downloaded Winbuilder to attempt to build a VistaPE CD, but I get an error saying it can't find some Microsoft component. I really don't want to waste time building these bootable discs as True Image should just work. :doubt:

In any case, does anybody recommend a product that does work OK using RAID controllers? I really am over using Acronis products now and would like to try another brand.

The RAID controller on my motherboard is just an on-board Intel controller - nothing flash.

7. willyfrog

willyfrog Registered Member

Hello All!

I've got the same problem. I'm using a notebook Dell XPS M1730 with on-board RAID controller. I've got 2 SATA disks in RAID 0.

Yesterday I tryed to restore a backup, but True Image cannot see my HDs, so the restore was not possible. The worst thing was that after the reboot, Vista didn't start due to an error on loading file, so I had to insert the Vista OS disk and repair my installation.

Fortunatly, now all is ok, but I'm bit annoyed about that!!!

Is there a solution or a fix under work?

Many thanks in advance

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Diff brands of backup/image software have probs with diff hardware sets. Some with th one, other with that. YOu can try them since most most of the more popular ones have free trials.

One Ishadow Protect) uses VistaPE for the boot CD and should be able to see any hardware that can be seen in Vista and yo can load drivers n the fly with its boot CD.

9. willyfrog

willyfrog Registered Member

Many thanks for the help: now it WORKS!!!!

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello plettner,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Please be aware that in cases of some device recognition problems, we are usually able to resolve them after some investigation. So, if you're still willing to pursue the resolution, please collect the Linux system information (sysinfo26.txt), as suggested in the e-mail that was sent to you on July 29th. That information will let us define what drivers are needed to be added to the media for it to work on your configuration. Please send the collected information with a reply to the last e-mail you received. Or, if you deleted it, you can submit a new request to our Support Team with the file attached and mention of the original case number (1608749).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.