can't restore to smaller drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anoyes, Jul 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anoyes

anoyes Registered Member

I have created an image using TI 8.0 of a Windows 98 machine with 2 partitions. I created the image on a drive that is 9.5 GB. The two partitions are 2 GB each (1.99 and 1.91 to be exact), for a total of just under 4 GB. When I try to restore this to a 6GB drive, however, it won't let me select the destination drive. I get thru selecting the image to restore and checking off the disk to restore, but the destination drive is greyed out and I can't select it. From what I've seen on here, it is possible to restore to a smaller drive so long as the uncompressed data will fit on the drive, which is obviously the case here b/c the partitions themselves are smaller than the drive they're going on. Any ideas as to why it won't let me restore to the 6GB drive? It works fine on anything 9.5 GB or larger.

Thanks,
    Adam N.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Adam,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The problem is that you cannot resize the image when you restore the image of the whole disk. Please restore the partitions from the image one by one resizing them. Please note that after that you may need to fix MBR using either Windows Installation CD or one of the methods described at Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. anoyes

anoyes Registered Member

I've seen a few posts about restoring to smaller hard drives, with replies saying that it's possible as long as the uncompressed data will fit on the drive (such as this https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=491364&postcount=2 ). From this is sounds like there should be next to nothing to do. But this still doesn't explain why I can't restore the image I'm working with in this case. The partitions do not need to be resized at all. There are two 2 GB partitions, for a total of 4 GB. I'm trying to restore it to a 6 GB drive, so it should work no problem, yes? Unfortunately, it doesn't. The drive is greyed out. The original image was created using a 9.5 GB disk, and thus the image works fine on anything that size or larger. But shouldn't it still be able to go right onto the 6 GB drive because the partitions are smaller than the destination drive?

Thank you.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Adam,

Is it correct that you had two 2Gb partitions on the 9,5Gb drive and all other space is unallocated? If so everyhting should work normally. Could you please create the screenshots of all your steps in wizard and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will analyze the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.