Can't restore to new hard disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NCARalph, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCARalph

NCARalph Registered Member

This is on a Dell Latitude 830 XP SP3 with SATA internal drive and USB external drive with the Acronis backup files. My original hard disk failed and I got a new one, these were both 7200 RPM SATA drives, the original 120GB, the new 160GB. I've done nightly incremental acronis backups and have a recovery bootable CD.

I reboot with the CD, select the Acronis TI full option, select the lastest backup, select restore the entire saved partition, expand the destination partition to include all free space, and start the restore. What happens is it starts, runs for several seconds with both the internal and USB disk active, then hangs. I've downloaded the latest version of the Acronis software, tried the quiet acpi=off noapic F11 option, tried earlier backup files from my USB all with the same result. I also attempted just restoring a single directory both the my internal drive and to a second USB drive. What happened is the copy ran for several seconds and copied most of the directory, then hung.

There are no other USB devices on the machine other than the disk.

I ran the DOS disk diagnostics which all passed, reinstalled windows and ran it with no problems, manually copied a bunch of files from the USB to the internal disk, all worked fine so I think the disks and controllers are OK.

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Which version and build of True Image is this? If you don't have the latest build of your version you should download it and try again.

3. NCARalph

I have the most current version of TI 11 and I've tried the Safe version with the same results

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  4. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When the original backup was created (the one being used for the restore), did you checkmark the Disk option so that all your partitions (both hidden and diagnostic) would be included in the backup archive?

5. NCARalph

Hmm, don't remember but I believe I told it to back up everything available. There may be hidden options I didn't see, but everything that was available I asked for.

What is really the worst is that I checked this a long time ago by restoring some files and it worked. The problem is that it only works for a minute or so, then hangs after restoring only some of the files.

6. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

You say ATI hangs after several seconds. On my system it takes several minutes before any green bars appear, and the times to finish take even much longer and are never accurate.

7. NCARalph

What happens is it starts to do the restore, some of the files get transfered, then it stops. I let it sit for over an hour and a half and it didn't do anything. Hitting the cancel button had no effect. It was hung.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NCARalph,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify, how is the USB drive powered? Please also clarify, does the problem also appears when restoring from archive located on internal drive to internal drive?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.