Can't resize system partition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by dwisby, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwisby

dwisby Registered Member

I have a W2k3 server and Partition Manager Server 8.0 Enterprise edition and am trying to enlarge the system partition.
    Here is the setup:
    Name Vol Label Type File Sys Size Used
    Basic Hard Disk 0 12Gb
    Logical disk(*) Dell Utility Fat16 30Mb 4Mb
    Logical Disk(C) (No Label) Primary NTFS 11Gb 8.2Gb
    Logical Disk(*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 4Mb 1.1Mb
    (Unallocated) (No Label) Free Space 1Mb 2047Gb
    Basic Hard Disk 1 267Gb
    Logical Disk (*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 15Mb 12Mb
    Extended Part. (No Label) Extended 267Gb
    Logical Disk(D) Data Logical NTFS 267GB 139Gb
    Logical Disk(*) (No Label) Primary NTFS 15Mb 4Mb

I need to use free space from logical disk D to expand logical disk C, but nothing seems to work.
    Can someone assist me. I believe is has to do with adjancency but do not know how to correct.
    Thanks
    David

2. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

It looks like your C and D drives are on different physical disks, is that correct? If it is, you will not be able to add free space from a partition on one physical disk to a partition on another physical disk directly.

If this is not the case then you need to move the other partition so that the free space is adjacent to the C partition.

Start by moving the partitions in the extended partition to the right, moving the free space to the left of the partitions.

Then re-size the extended partition form the left so that the unallocated space is outside of it, next to the C partition. Essentially realigning the extended partition with the logical partition that you would have moved in the first step.

3. dwisby

dwisby Registered Member

There are two physical disks in a RAID 1 array. When you say move the partitions in the extended partition and resize the extended partition, how is this done. I tried to right click Extended Partition but the only options are
    Delete Partition
    Change Partition ID
    Test Surface
    Edit/View Sectors
    Properties
    So I am kind of stumped.
    Thanks for you quick response,
    David

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello dwisby,

Take a look at this document to see if you fit the situation. Regarding your Raid 1 (mirrored), Windows and Paragon does not see the two physical disk, but rather as 1 array (disk). In Disk Management, make sure that the partition you're taking space from and adding to the C drive, are on the same disk (ie Disk 0) and adjacent to each other.

http://ftp.paragon.eu.com/support/PM10/PM10 - Resize Tutorial.pdf

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi dwisby,

There are screenshots explaining how to shrink the logical drive first , then shrink the Extended partition which contains it: POST 13 HERE

To shrink the logical drive - make sure the logical drive is highlighted before you rt click it - not the Extended partition that contains it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.