Can't register jscript and vbscript dll

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ashanta, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I will see on tomorrow, it's too late here.

Many thanks FIAT ! ;)

2. Ashanta

Great day ! I solved the 4th issue with WMP. :D :D

Need help for :

1. Bios issue (look at previous posts)

2. Little screen (see my previous posts).

3. UAC (even changing the registry the key provides by Fiat's urls doesn't work for me. I reboot my laptop and the UAC box is still checked)

Others members are also welcome to help me, thanks ! :)

3. Fiat_Lux

Fiat_Lux Registered Member

Congratulations on yet another progress , I guess one of my WMP tip links worked (?).

3) : With respect to the UAC , then even though it is not a desireable method did you then try the :
    Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode (?)
    There is an alternative, if inferior, method of turning off UAC, that is by disabling the Local Policy, Security Option: 'Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'. Double click and set to 'Disabled'. Unlike the Elevate without prompting technique, this method turns off UAC and compromises security. My advice is leave this setting as Enabled, and focus on the above setting:
    User Account Control: Behaviour elevation prompt for administrator.
    (from this page)

1) : BIOS issue : I think that you will have to use either one or the other of the advices I have given you previously with respect to this issue....

2) : "Little black screen" : I still haven't had time for "deep meditation" and further investigation on the subject....

4. Ashanta

Yes, the first two links you gave me helped me to fix the WMP player troubles.

It wasn't easy, because these keys were locked on my registry. I unlocked with psexec.exe and then, I did to redefine every key with the right permissions. I had only System and msiserver. The last one, I don't know why it was present in these keys (msiserver).

About UAC, I set up 'Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode'. Double click and to 'Disabled' with this one "User Account Control: Behaviour elevation prompt for administrator" , not enough to change the UAC at boot.

Unfortunately, UAC appears always checked, also in the registry Enable LUA.
    I checked the permission also, all is OK.

Something is wrong, I can't solve this issue !

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Fiat_Lux

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess that your general problem all the time has been a permission issues problem and that that goes for the UAC problem as well.
    I most confess that I find you incredibly persistent and think that you do an extreme amount of work to try to fix the problems....
    The permissions issues were the reason why I suggested that you could try the advanced registry fix that went haywire.... A pity that none of us took better care and made sure that you got a proper backup to start with, I am very sorry about this (though I did tell you to back up important data before proceeding, but I ought to have tried to take better care of you...)

I am spending more time in bed, and more time sleeping, than usual due to the recent surgical procedure/operation I went through , plus I still got a lot of pains so the energy ressources I have is fluctuating a lot, so I need a lot of relaxation plus I have other things also that I have to do . I will however try my best to see if I can come up with some advice for you as soon as I can find both time and energy....

6. Ashanta

Yes FIAT, the permissions of course, was the clue to unlock most of the issues.

I learned a lot these few days, reading in a few forums, sites, time is a great opportunity to learn more and become more aware about the security of a computer.

Thanks to you, I learned to backup my registry and doing an restore endpoint. :)

I will try to fix these 3 issues.

I will thanks a lot for all your time despite your weaky health.

I wish you a nice rest in order to recover all your balance harmony in your body. ;)

Maybe I will open a new thread with the remained issues as the topic of this post has been solved. :thumb:

7. Fiat_Lux

Thank you very much.....

8. Fiat_Lux

OK ! , let's see.... I have spent I don't know how many hours the last (3-4) days "scourging" and searching the internet to try dig up, assimilate, evaluate, digest and "compute"/assess whatever info on "black screens" on Vista I came across on my "scourging" and searching. I have frankly been so tired that I just had to go to sleep more times... (Also I have spent times the last days to try to put together this post for you to try to convey some of the assimilated information - while also searching the "net" some more....)

I have tried to digest/process a vast amount of information and try to evalute on the background of same vast information and number of resources, with this in mind my personal opinion has become that many types of Vista "black screen" problems seems in one way or another related to "permission problems" and "administrative rights" - though that other people might not agree on this or though it may not seem so neither on the surface/superficially analyzed nor at first hand. To perform a lenghty in-depth discussion on that subject here would however be beyond the scope of what I am trying to do here and also beyond the ressources I am willing to give here... So I have attempted to try to present things in a relatively short form.....
    However, while trying to put together the information for you and putting together this post I also have learned that a lot of people that tries to correct problems like yours just ends up in more problems. Also it is impossible to determin why they ended up in more problems, like : did they type wrong/do something wrong (?) , were anything wrong with the advice other people gave them (?) or were peoples installation in a condition where advice that othewise would have worked went haywire because of special circumstances on their particular installation/PC (?). I do not know, I do however know that if one starts to mess around with the internals of Windows then one could easily get into more problems and some people has even lost access to their drives while trying to fix a problem.....
    I would very much like to help you the best I can and though I from the start wrote that you should backup any important data prior to proceeding then things has not been "developing" as they ought to.
    I would very much like to just list a lot of things for you to try but the risk that something may go wrong for whatever reason (even unknown) is too great for me to just serve you a list of "suggestions" describing all of instruction scenarioes that other people has gone through to try to rectify their problems. You must understand that when having problems of unknown character and trying to fix such problems by messing around with , "permissions", "Administrative rights" and the Windows "registry" then people often ends up creating worse situations for themselves, and as already written then the reason why things went wrong really can be almost impossible to assess.....
    But I will do my very best to try to find a balanced way of conveying to you a lot of the information that I dug up......
    And I will remind you to please back up any important data on your computer, or whole computer, before proceeding.

Not counting viral attacks and such (though they may sometimes have "helped" create/facilitated the users situation) then "black screens" otherwise seems related to (but not limited to) things like :

Scenario 1 :
    Windows may sometimes, for whatever reason, enter a state where a security program in some cases can create relatively short "black screen" incidents (I actually have experienced this myself of Windows XP where something in connection with my Firewall created a 5 to 10 seconds "black screen" when I responded to my firewalls "request").
    In your case then something with a permission problem (?) could theorectically create short term incidents in connection with some security software.....

Scenario 2 :
    "Black screens" can also be related to problems with "services" and things that "run in the background".

Scenario 3 :
    Direct "permission" and/or "administrative rights" problems.....

Scenario 4 :
    Vista appears to, in some cases, have problems with Windows Event Log "Black screens".....

Scenario 5 :
    In some cases a problem with the "user account control" (UAC) function has created "Black screen" problems , usually worse than yours, however since you seems to have both permission problems and UAC problems , then some sort of UAC problem, however far fetched is not possible to fully exclude as cause in your case either.

Scenario 6 :
    For whatever reasons sometimes a problem related to the graphics driver may occur that can be hard to pinpoint exactly.....

Some of the above described scenarioes could create far worse "Black screen" problems than yours and amongst those that read this there may be those that would dismiss some of the scenarios described above to be applicable in your case. However it is my opinion that any of the scenarioes described above could be a possible candidate for your problems though some less likely than others.
    Amongst the scenarioes left out above is the missing "registry hive" : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon String Value Shell which should be explorer.exe , your registry value ought to be in place as you got Windows desktop, I am however, on an imaginary level, unable to fully exclude that such advanced problems (such as "permission" and "administrative rights" problems) could exist with respect to this....

Also it ought to be duely noted that the only thing I can do is to perform an assessment of some of the possible reasons for your "black screen" problem, I can neither claim nor propose that any of the mentioned scenarioes actually is the root cause to your problem (and thus it could be utter waste of your time to investigate these things) all I can do is to give a "best bet" from what I have been able to dig up thus far.

With respect to investigating if scenarioes #1 & #2 apply to your problem then proper procedure to go about doing that probably would be by following this M.$. article : "How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7" & "Using System Configuration".

With respect to investigating if scenarioes #3 apply to your problem then it is much more complicated, a lot more difficult and also risky because that means that one has to mess more with "permission" and/or "administrative rights" and/or "registry".... There are so many possible suggestions that one could come up with but in the end you are the one risking your installation and having to do all the work also.
    I'll list some og the solution attempts that others have tried and then you must decide if that is the way you want to "mess" with your computer and the risks involved. :
    (Please back up the registry and any important data on your computer, or whole computer, before proceeding)

A)
    You use Vista Business so you ought to be able to useGPedit - Group Policies
    Try this - use the Hidden Admin Account to lower your account to the lowest level. APPLY/OK then go back
    and reset it to Admin. This often clears corruption.
    Make another Account FULL ADMIN with your password and use it to fix the others when needed.
    (just to repair with, not to use as regular account, a safety valve)
    DO NOT LEAVE THE HAA ENABLED OR USE IT DAILY. If it corrupts you are toast!
    (How to Enable or Disable the Real Built-in Administrator Account in Vista)

B)
    Perhaps there could be a few certain folders that have had their permissions messed with. If so you could try to change settings. People have changed permissions on folders that they noticed that did not have proper permissions, like the WINDOWS folder in the root directory, and several other folders such as the Logs folders in various locations of the Windows folder.
    If you’re changing the permissions, make sure that SYSTEM has FULL CONTROL, as well as Administrators. Users should only have Read & Execute, List Contents and Read privileges.

It is in general very difficult for me to make any suggestions about how to go around trying to rectify "permission" and/or "administrative rights" problems because for example some Vista users reports that a tool like "SubInACL" works well for them even on Vista while others have great problems with the tool....
    Also you must understand that some prople have gotten in over their head (and got extreme problems) just because they tried to "take ownership" of their whole drive in Windows Vista. So please understand that venturing into trying to rectify "permission" and/or "administrative rights" problems in Windows Vista is a rather risky move in general. (especially because of all the "unknowns"/"unknown factors")

I can list some explanations and give you links to some tools but you must the one to decide if you want to use any of it and you must take the responsebility. Also there seems to be no proper way or seqence to present the information to you because of the complexity of the matter and the amount of information so I will just have to write it to get it done (this is the third day here at Wilderssecurity.com where I try to compose this post for you.)

To understand and manage "Windows Integrity Levels" , links :

Standard M.$. tools : "Takeown" & "Icacls" (no proper Vista explanation was found at M.$. by me for Vista) .
    "Icacls" ought probably (?) be used with :r switch on /grant ICACLS command switch for best result.
    /grant[:r] Sid:perm grants the specified user access rights. With :r, the permissions replace any previouly granted explicit permissions. Without :r, the permissions are added to any previously granted explicit permissions.

Non M.$. explanation on "iCacls - Modify Access Control List".

But I quote from another forum !!! : "Permissions can be a huge nightmare, if your not careful, you will deny access to the original owner, causing loads if issues."

Non M.$. tools for managing "Windows Integrity Levels" :
    "SetACL – the tool for managing permissions" , download at this page .
    "chml and regil: Utilities To Manage Windows Integrity Levels".
    "Fileacl is a unique NTFS permissions management tool" by "Guillaume Bordier" .

Semi-tools for managing "Windows Integrity Levels" :
    "Add Take Ownership to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista".
    "Easier Way to Take Ownership and Grant Access Files or Directories in Vista".

Information on "managing" "Windows Integrity Levels" (in no real specidic order):
    "How do I restore security settings to a known working state" .
    "How to Take Ownership and Full Control Permissions of Files and Folders in Vista".
    "The Icacls.exe utility is available for Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2" , the M.$. article clearly says "The Icacls.exe utility is included in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2003 SP2."
    "Changes to the default NTFS Discretionary Access Control List (DACL) settings in Windows Vista" , this M.$. article refers to the Calcs command now "upgraded"/replaced by iCALCS, it does not mention relevance for iCALCS.
    "icalcs/cacls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" (about ICALCS) and I quote from articles "critisism" part : "all of which offer improvements, but are still considered underpowered as they do not fully replicate the functionality available in the GUI and are in some cases potentially disruptive".
    "The Lazy Admin ICACLS_EXE ACL command line management" .
    "Tools to Manage Access Control Lists".
    "Microsoft Windows Vista Command Reference TAKEOWN" .

Reason for me doing "so much of a job" on the managing "Windows Integrity Levels"/"permission" and/or "administrative rights" problems , is because you seems to be plagued by such problem (WMP, UAC , ecetera)...

With respect to investigating scenarioe #4 (eventual problems with the "Windows Event Log") , then some fixes attempted by others have been :

A)
    Boot to recovery mode (press f8 at startup)
    Go to C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\logs
    Delete all event logs one bye one.

B)
    Run msconfig and uncheck the following : 1. Windows Event Log. , 2). Windows Event Collector.

C) (you can not boot on DVD , I know!)
    1) Use the vista DVD to go to the repair mode.
    2) From the same screen where you do the system restore, there's an option to open an administrative command prompt.
    3) That should open in X:\Sources or something like that
    4) Go to the windows drive by entering C:
    5) Now go to the windows event log folder on your machine (C:\Windows\System32\winevt):
    cd c:\windows\system32\winevt
    6) ren Logs Logs_bad
    7) mkdir Logs (This will create an empty folder for new event logs.)

With respect to investigating scenarioe #5 (eventual problems with the "UAC") , then this would be very difficult to investigate for you since you can not turn off UAC..... , only thing I can give you is a couple of more links about the UAC :
    "Inside Windows Vista User Account Control" .
    "Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista".

With respect to investigating scenarioe #6 (eventual problems with the "graphics driver") then people have tried to revert to previous driver or to un-install driver and install a new one. (not that it always helped them).

I am very sorry. This "post" is some mouthfull to read (but then try be the one that had to write and compose it) , but it was either this or not posting an answer for you in this thread.

Disclaimer : All actions are performed at your own responsebility & serious problems might occur. Please back up any important data on your computer, or whole computer, before proceeding.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.